Technical Learning Team Lead (L&D), Part time 4 days/wk (FTC)
Technical Learning Team Lead, Part time 4 days/wk (FTC)
Are you an experienced Learning & Development professional with a genuine passion for the management of technical/specialist learning? Are you interested in applying your knowledge, experience and enthusiasm to a lead role with a global multi-disciplinary firm committed to shaping a better world?
Arup University was established in 2009, to raise the intellectual capital of the firm. It brings together learning, knowledge management, communities of practice and research. Learning encompasses programmes at three levels: Doctoral, Masters and Professional, for Arup staff across in its 30 countries around the world.
Professional Development encompasses formal and informal learning across Arup, providing staff with the skills, knowledge and behaviours to carry out day-to-day work. The focus of this role is to lead the technical learning team to grow technical and specialist training across all of our skills networks and regions. The team works with internal subject matter experts to diagnose, design, deliver and evaluate technical and specialist learning.
You could be the person we need to manage and coach the technical learning team across the different regions, and to diagnose learning needs and manage the planning and processes of technical learning design and delivery.
The Technical Learning Team Lead is part of the leadership of Arup University Learning team, sitting within the Professional Development team and reporting directly to the Director of Arup University Learning Team. The role liaises closely with the Regional L&D leaders in HR, the wider Arup University Team, and Skills Network Leaders throughout Arup. The key responsibilities will include:
- Providing support and coaching to the technical learning specialists both in person in London and virtually in the regions, and providing advice on any barriers they may be facing
- Supporting each member of the technical learning team with planning and prioritising their portfolio of work to ensure it is meeting the wider teams’ agenda, and encouraging collaboration among the team to ensure the regional and global activities are aligned
- Conduct appraisals for all direct reports
- Reviewing and tracking the portfolio of technical offerings for all SN’s to ensure all learning activities meet their ongoing needs
- Connecting learning activities taking place across the regions to ensure a joined up global approach and conducting meetings with the global SNL’s to give an update of the learning activity in their SN and within the wider learning team
- Supporting the SNL’s with their learning priorities and plans, diagnosing and advising on the best course of action and giving advice to designers on the diagnosis of the learning needs.
- Promoting a philosophy of ongoing review and change
- Supporting the processes of learning design by contributing to the early design thinking on the programme and encouraging the correct learning method for the topic and need.
- Undertake design reviews with members of the team in the development of new programmes
- Challenging activity that is not adding value/is stagnant and collaborating on alternative approaches.
- Working with Regional colleagues to promote and facilitate the delivery (where applicable) of global programmes in the regions
- Delivering and facilitating Arup University programmes designed to support the remit of the AU learning team.
- Supporting the delivery of global virtual classroom courses using Adobe Connect and supporting ‘first runs’ of face-to-face classroom courses with trainers, facilitating review of feedback to ensure that quality of delivery is established early on.
You should have experience of the full cycle of technical learning design – diagnosis, design, delivery and evaluation, for both face to face and virtual learning methodologies – and proven project management experience with the ability to operate and lead a project through all its stages, from inception to post investment review. You should will have a strong commercial focus and be capable of managing a budget for the team and it’s activities. You will also be fantastic at stakeholder management, particularly around managing requirements, helping to clarify needs and priorities, and managing expectations.
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent and specific term staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. Although specific-term employees cannot access the firm’s Flexible Benefit scheme, you will benefit from receiving the grade-related flex fund as additional cash.
In addition specific term employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
To make your application please apply with your CV and covering letter via the application method below.