Senior Finance Manager, Open to flexible working
Senior Finance Manager, Open to flexible working
Salary: Circa £55k Per Annum
Location: London. EC4A
Responsible To: Head Of Finance
Contract Type: Permanent, Full Time
About Big Society Capital
Big Society Capital’s aim is to improve the lives of people in the UK by connecting investment to charities and social enterprises
that are creating social change.
We engage with investors, fund managers, charities and social enterprises to make it easier to use social investment. With our co investors,we have made over £1bn of new capital available to organisations with a social mission, through investments into fund managers and social banks. We have a special focus on: providing homes for people in need; supporting communities to improve lives; and early action to prevent problems.
Purpose of Role:
This position is responsible for managing all aspects of investment accounting, fund and treasury accounting together with lead
responsibility for the month end process and production of the management accounts. Key responsibilities include valuations of investments; the preparation of statutory reporting and returns; managing Big Society Capital’s liquidity and cash flow; and preparing and monitoring departmental budgets. The position will ensure that effective financial controls and procedures are maintained.
Work in the Finance team consisting of the CFO, Head of Finance and one Management Accountant. Extensive contact with all members of staff, particularly the Investment team, the Legal and Compliance team and the Operations team. Contact with Executive Committee members to get authorisations and develop/ monitor budgets.
External Contacts: Investees, auditors, bank, treasury management providers, regulatory advisers, FCA, HMRC.
Flexibility to develop the role and take on additional tasks as required.
- Review quarterly Fund reporting and Audited Accounts from BSC’s investments and ensure Fund income and expenditure and valuation gains/losses are accurately recorded in BSC’s accounting system.
- Liaison with Fund Managers as required.
- Support BSC Investment team members with training and valuation guidance through each quarterly valuation cycle.
- Manage the month end process, including reporting to Senior Management and the FCA.
- Develop departmental budgets and input into the forecasting process.
- Manage the organisation’s liquidity effectively, so that funds are available when required.
- Review and develop processes for the valuation and financial monitoring of Big Society Capital’s social investment portfolio,
- including preparation for the Quarterly Valuation Committee.
- Together with the Head of Finance research and stay current with accounting standards, guidance and legislation,and apply to BSC’s financial and FCA reporting requirements.
- Prepare annual draft statutory reporting, including group consolidation, and liaise with auditors to ensure accurate and timely completion of the year end process.
- Preparation of annual tax returns and other tax requirements. Liaison with external Tax advisers as required.
- Assist the Head of Finance with preparation of FCA reporting and other requirements with the Chief Financial Officer and Head of Finance, maintain and develop accurate accounting systems,records and reporting, with adequate financial controls.
- Undertake project work to support the development of BSC and the finance function.
Experience - Essential:
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or CA)
- Sound and up to date knowledge of UK GAAP
- Preparation of reports and analysis on the performance of the business.
- Development of internal control procedures and frameworks.
- Investment management, Fund Accounting or financial services experience.
- Strong post qualified experience.
- Previous experience in a similar position.
- Charity or not-for-profit organisation experience.
- Social Investment experience.
- FCA regulatory reporting.
- Knowledge of IPEV valuation guidelines.
- Strong IT skills, particularly Excel.
- Demonstrates excellent financial and numerical awareness: fully
- conversant with financial accounts and accounting procedures.
- Relevant knowledge of accounting IT systems.
- Embraces complex data.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to apply statutory principles, guidelines and legislation in practice.
- Excel modelling skills.
- Strong team player.
- Builds solid relationships with key stakeholders.
- Superior judgment, discretion and utmost integrity.
- Flexible and willing to take on different tasks as required.
- Analytical with excellent attention to detail.
- Well organised & able to prioritise.
- Able to work outside of standard working hours on occasion to meet deadlines.
- Big Society Capital is open to explore a degree of flexible working.
We believe that successful organisations are purpose driven, performance orientated and principles led. The following five organisational values have become our ‘guiding beacon’:
Purposeful: We are passionate and energetic in our work to bring about our long-
term vision of a thriving social investment market that enables positive social impact.
Pioneering Spirit: We give our team the autonomy and flexibility to be entrepreneurial and creative. We have the courage to push boundaries and have a restless drive for change.
Rigorous: We take a rigorous approach in all we do. We expect the highest standards and continually strive for excellence.
Respectful: We are genuine in both our approach and aspiration. We value each member of our team and our partners for what they bring.
Openness: We listen, learn, experiment and collaborate. And we are adaptive and flexible in responding to what we learn.
We are a diverse organisation with employees from a range of backgrounds that seeks to reflect and represent the range of experiences within UK society. BSC is looking for a highly motivated individual that will share our values, can demonstrate the behaviours that will enable our organisation to succeed, and will be able to bring the following range of experience and skills:
Benefits of working for Big Society Capital:
We will ask a lot of successful candidates – but in return working life at Big Society Capital offers:
- The privilege (and responsibility) of working in a globally pioneering organisation, backed by a substantial balance sheet.
- The chance to work with top-flight colleagues, who are a source of support and encouragement.
- Formal training and learning opportunities.
- Salary and benefit package that is very competitive that includes contributory pension plan, health insurance, childcare voucher scheme and other benefits.
How to apply:
Application is by covering letter and CV sent via the application method below.
Closing date for applications: 09:00 on 17th December 2018.
All applicants must have existing Right to Work in the UK.
Big Society Capital is an equal opportunities employer.