Senior DevOps Engineer, Open to flexibility
Senior DevOps Engineer, Open to flexibility
Who are we?
We are GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose:
- To help people do more, feel better, live longer.
We use this ethos to guide us in our daily lives and to drive all our goals, values and expectations - how does this make you feel?
We have 3 global businesses that research, develop and manufacture innovative pharmaceutical medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products, and we want you to help us be one of the most trusted and best performing healthcare companies in the world.
What is our purpose?
Our group is a new and growing team of passionate thinkers and makers. We're embarking on a journey of discovery and innovation to change the face of the Pharmaceutical industry. We're exploring new ways of using our technology to provide life-saving medicines to the people who really need them, using open and transparent methods, with passionate people with low ego who are eager to learn.
What you'll be doing...
- Reporting into the Director, Systems Engineering.
- Embedding yourself deeply in your team, becoming familiar with the problem domain and understanding the business and compliance challenges you will help address.
- Designing and implementing shared operational infrastructure and processes, working on everything from provisioning an entire cloud environment to investigating a failed Kubernetes deployment. You're ideally a jack of all trades, happy to jump from one area to another and bring your technical expertise to bear on complicated problems.
- Helping your team maintain, improve and expand their delivery pipeline from their workstations to production environments.
- Building relationships with other teams and throughout the wider business, helping drive improvements and innovation in your areas of interest.
- Sharing your extensive experience with operational issues - think logging, Linux system administration, monitoring, orchestration, disaster recovery, infrastructure provisioning, networking - to help support scalable and fault-tolerant production systems for your team.
- Developing tooling and applications to support automated operations up and down the delivery chain, using software engineering approaches and tools.
- Providing leadership and mentoring to software engineers by being both a teacher and a learner, unreservedly sharing your knowledge and equally passionate about continually discovering new techniques and ideas.
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That's why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
To support you in achieving your role and career ambitions you'll be given the opportunity to:
- Play an important role in delivering our mission
- Be an essential part of diverse, global team
- Develop others as part of your own professional growth
Interested in Joining the Team?
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
Closing Date: COP 16th December 2018
Who we're looking for...
You're an experienced cloud engineer passionate about building scalable and reliable systems. Your mandate will be to take a leading role inside a multi-functional product engineering team and provide the operational experience and knowledge required to help the team succeed.
As a high-performing and self-reliant engineer, you will constantly query, analyse and improve our processes and technical stacks, automating and monitoring everything from CI/CD pipelines to infrastructure provisioning. Your main attributes are curiosity, determination and self-reliance - you have the ability to continuously identify and fix areas of improvement and identify and fill gaps in your expertise.
But it's not just about technology - you're also an adept communicator who has excellent interpersonal skills. You will develop effective partnerships with platform, systems engineering and security teams throughout the business, helping foster an empathetic and open approach to the challenges we collectively face.
How many of these qualities do you think you have?
GSK has a 150-year legacy of helping to transform the health, lives and futures of millions of people around the world. We're a science-led healthcare company with more than 100,000 people working in 115 countries. Each year we produce around 4 billion packs of medicine, nearly 900 million doses of vaccine and more than 18 billion packs of consumer healthcare products. Our focus of helping people do more, feel better and live longer is at the centre of all that we aim to do.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.