Laboratory Technician - Fixed Term Contract (circa 9/10 months) - open to flexible working
From Arthur Guinness to Johnnie Walker, our business was founded on people of great character, and in 250 years, nothing's changed. We're the world's leading premium alcohol company. Our brands are industry icons. And our success is thanks to the strength of our people, in every role. It's why we trust them with our legacy. And it's why we reward them with the career-defining opportunities that they deserve.
Scotland is the headquarters of our International Supply Centre (ISC) and home of Diageo's diverse range of Scotch whiskies. ISC Malt Distilling has responsibility for production of circa 90 mla per annum, malt whisky, associated barley requirements, co-products and warehouse operations at over 30 locations across Scotland.
About the role
You'll be part of the analytical support team which works across our laboratory facilities in Elgin and Roseisle and when required at our sites. This team carries out a varied range of analysis on Barley, Malt, New Make and Mature Spirit, Yeast, and By-products. The purpose of this team is to support the business' stretching service, cost and quality requirements which demand that all assets operate at optimal performance.
You'll facilitate delivery, as part of a team within a fast paced QA environment, of all the analytical requirements for either malt or spirit production within Malt Distilling.
You'll also facilitate delivery and support technical projects with specific and agreed additional analytical work aimed at achieving continuous improvement in terms of process efficiency.
This means that on a day-to-day basis you'll:
- Organise and facilitate the routine analysis required by the maltings and distilleries.
- Work closely with other team members to provide an integrated delivery of analytical support to production sites.
- Develop a proactive partnership with Process Support team members and production sites to support the delivery of the Malt Distilling strategy.
- Actively participate in the delivery of projects aimed at improving process efficiency and quality.
- Proactively investigate deviations outwith normal expectations for analytical results.
- Actively participate in continuous learning and development opportunities; within technical or operational environments
We're looking for people with character: driven, resilient and open-minded. You'll be driven and flexible - as our work can change quickly. You'll also be ready to build strong relationships with stakeholders across the business. You'll also have:
- HNC Chemistry or equivalent.
- Understanding of Health and Safety requirements relating to laboratory work.
- Minimum 3 years laboratory experience.
- Knowledge of laboratory instrumentation.
- Knowledge of laboratory information systems.
- Experience in participating in the delivery of projects within a functional team.
- Experience in working in a partnership I service orientated environment.
- Knowledge of malting and distilling process.
- And ideally a full driving licence and your own transport.
A diverse workforce is essential to our success as a multi-national, multi-cultural business. Our aim is to foster a culture that provides opportunities for all, through the variety of different personalities, experiences and perspectives, creating a stimulating and rewarding working environment. We’re always open to a conversation about what flexible working means to you. By creating a truly inclusive workplace that recognises difference and diversity of thought, feelings and actions, we can allow our people to unleash the power of being themselves, always, to enable them to Celebrate Life, Every Day, Everywhere.
CHARACTER IS EVERYTHING