Finance Manager (part time) 2 days per week
Finance Manager (part time) 2 days per week
The Finance Manager is a key role for Kids in Museums, working with the Executive Director to ensure the smooth operation of the charity and support long-term financial planning. Over the past two years, Kids in Museums has worked hard to improve its financial processes and now has robust systems in place. We are looking for someone with the knowledge and skills to maintain these systems and work collaboratively with a small team. This role would suit someone looking for a part-time opportunity within charity finance and who is enthusiastic about museums and heritage.
About Kids in Museums
Kids in Museums is a national charity dedicated to ensuring that all children, young people and families feel welcomed and involved in museums and other heritage sites. In recognition of its excellent track-record and future ambitions, Kids in Museums was selected by Arts Council England to be a Sector Support Organisation for the museum sector from April 2018, funded as a National Portfolio Organisation.
This is an exciting time to be joining Kids in Museums. Following an organisational development project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, we are implementing new ways of working supported by a new staffing structure. This will enable us to expand and increase the impact of our core programmes - Takeover Day, Family Friendly Museum Award, online information and resources and our Manifesto - as well as develop new programmes.
For more information about Kids in Museums see www.kidsinmuseums.org.uk
To work with the Executive Director to ensure the smooth running of all Kids in Museums’ financial processes and future financial planning.
Systems and Compliance
- Maintaining and updating accounts using SAGE Instant Accounts
- Creating and maintaining an appropriate coding system to track income and expenditure, training staff to code invoices and receipts appropriately
- Monitoring organisational compliance with Charity Commission guidance on internal financial controls, ensuring systems are appropriate and making recommendations to the Executive Director as needed
- Supporting the Executive Director to maintain an up-to-date set of financial policies
- Supporting the Executive Director and other staff to set income and expenditure budgets and prepare budgets for funding applications
- Maintaining and updating cash flow projections, budgets and managements accounts for regular review as agreed with the Executive Director
- Reconciling bank and other control accounts
- Paying salaries using SAGE ONE payroll, ensuring salaries are appropriately calculated, tax is appropriately deducted, and payments are made to NEST (our pension auto-enrolment provider)
- Raising invoices, preparing payments against invoices received and administering financial transactions with staff, customers and our bank
- Acting as the main contact for all Kids in Museums’ banking needs including maintaining bank mandate and access to online banking
- Supporting the Executive Director to produce financial returns for funding bodies including Arts Council England
- Producing annual returns and trial balance for independent examination of accounts
- Working with Independent Examiner to produce annual financial report and accounts that meet appropriate regulatory requirements
- Liaising with Independent Examiner to ensure that the annual financial report is filed with Companies House, Charities Commission and OSCR
Board and Finance Committee
- Working with the Executive Director to prepare papers for Finance Committee and Board meetings
- Attending Finance Committee meetings and recording notes and actions, ensuring the actions are followed up afterwards
- Supporting the work of Kids in Museums by participating in projects and events such as the Family Friendly Museum Award and Takeover Day
- Working according to Kids in Museums staff handbook and policies
- Appropriate professional qualification e.g. ACCA or CIMA
- At least two years’ previous experience of managing finance in a small business or charity
- Strong experience of using SAGE accountancy and payroll software
- Proven experience of producing a complete set of annual accounts
- Proven experience of developing organisational budgets and cash flow forecasts
- Demonstrable ability to produce accurate management accounts
- Highly numerate with good analytical skills
- Organised approach to work, able to juggle deadlines and prioritise effectively
- Collaborative approach to work and ability to build strong internal relationships to engage other staff members in financial processes
- Experience of working flexibly as part of a small team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good IT skills, including advanced Excel skills
- Educated to degree level
- An understanding of the importance of enabling children and young people to participate actively in heritage and an appreciation of the work of Kids in Museums
- Understanding of the SORP
- Experience of working with a Board of Trustees or Board Committee
Eligibility to work in the UK
Candidates for this role must be eligible to work in the UK. If you are successful at interview you will be asked to prove your eligibility to work in the UK before a formal offer of employment can be made.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and covering letter addressed to Alison Bowyer, Executive Director. As a guide a CV should be no more than two sides of A4 and a covering letter around one side of A4. When writing your covering letter, please ensure that it highlights how you meet the essential requirements of the person specification and tells us why you are interested in the role.
Please also complete and submit the equal opportunities monitoring form. This will not be used in consideration of your application, but the data will be anonymised and stored for up to 12 months to be used for monitoring purposes.
In your covering email to submit the application, please give us details of your current notice period and two referees. We will not contact your referees without your consent. Please let us know in the email accompanying your application whether you would require any adjustments to be made to enable you to attend an interview.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 28 December 2018.
Please send your applications to Alison Bowyer, via the application method below.
Interviews will be held on Thursday 10 January 2019 at the Kids in Museums offices in London. We will notify successful candidates who have been selected for interview by email by the end of the day on Thursday 3 January 2019.
Please note that if you have not heard from us by this date you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful. Kids in Museums is a small organisation and does not have the capacity to provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates prior to interview.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Alison Bowyer, Executive Director on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 3096 7707.
Apply for Finance Manager (part time) 2 days per week
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Finance £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Accountancy £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Bookkeeping £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Finance Department £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Charity £30,000 - £40,000 part time jobs in London (Central)