Corporate Government Affairs Director, Global Trade Policy and Advocacy (Open to flexible working)
We are searching for a Director, Global Trade Policy and Advocacy, Corporate Government Affairs, Communications and Government Affairs who can make a positive difference to the team and GSK as a whole and who can inspire others to the same. Come and join the team! Together we can serve our GSK colleagues to enable them to help patients and consumers around the globe to do more, feel better and live longer!
WHAT IS YOUR JOB PURPOSE?
Trade is re-emerging as a central to domestic and multilateral agendas for governments of GSK's priority and key markets. New catalysts for the changing trade environment include the US's Refocus on Trade, the UK becoming an independent trade partner post Brexit and looking to negotiate trade agreements, and increasing debates within International
Organizations on their role in trade. Additionally, the EU will continue to be a centre of trade policy and will negotiate new trade agreements.
It is critical that GSK develop a trade agenda and drive the UK trade agenda.
WHAT ARE YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES?
The Global Trade director would be responsible for developing content, analysis, and engage for the GSK trade agenda as part of delivering a holistic external trade strategy:
A holistic external trade environment strategy should:
- Monitors and analyses the external environment and stakeholders and articulates the likely business impact (risk and benefit); this should include
- Understanding of likely demands to come from our partners
- Impact of such demands and expectations to both GSK and the overall industry
- Understanding, intelligence and analysis of the strategy and positioning of our partners and likely business impact on GSK
- Analysis of likely mechanisms and policies of partner that are either policy shapers or Policy makers that will impact GSK's ability to operate and licence to operate
- Provides a constant listening, feedback, and analysis loop of the external environment, strategy of stakeholders, likely impact to GSK, and impact of GSK voice
- Specific responsibility: Analysis
- ii intelligence gathered by regions & hubs
- Forecast trade developments (partner with business for business impact)
- Provide understanding and perspective to senior leaders, regions, CGA
- Identifies what policies, positions, and engagement internally is needed from GSK (including messaging, argumentation, business impact, strategic roadmap)
Specific responsibility: Develop strategy and content:
- Identify Priority Policy Issues - Content development in partnership with business technical disciplines
- Identify Priority trade fora - advocacy and engagement strategy (match with priority policy issues, types of agreements to advocate for, etc.)
- Participate and shape Trade Associations strategy - Drive ABPI leadership and then alignment with PhRMA, EFPIA, IFPMA
- Develops a strategy to engage the external environment through both advocacy and communications, with proactive environment shaping goals that are attained through direct stakeholder management, partnerships, trade association leadership, strategic comms to partners, overall media comms to amplify the echo chamber, and general comms to further propel the GSK reputation which then feeds back into the specific environment shaping strategy.
Specific responsibility: Engagement
- Global -Level engagement/advocacy execution with Governments and trade bodies to represent GSK priorities in trade rounds and policy negotiations (Incl. WTO, UK Government, OECD, etc.
- Manage UK Trade Agenda - Trade Policy promotion by UK abroad, UK involvement in WTO and Multilateral Agreements, post Brexit Trade policy (not grandfathered during Brexit)
- Proactive and reactive engagement on trade negotiations
- Engage with UK regional Trade Commissioners
- Strategic Senior Leader external engagement
- Strategy development for regional Trade Fora
- Direct engagement and monitoring of OECD - Trade Discussions
- Positions our senior leaders to engage with Key decision makers on solid trade content that is furthering our objectives and offering strategic and partnership
- Is specific in building the networks and presence of our senior leaders in the trade space (GA and Comms) with content that is built on sustainable business needs and trade.
INTERESTED IN JOINING THE TEAM?
Please apply via our online portal providing your CV and Cover Letter.
Please ensure you apply before COB 15th Jan 2019 to ensure you're in the running!
(Please take a personal copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available online post closure of the advert)
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements, please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Why You?Basic qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree required-preferred discipline in Political Science, Economics, or Trade
- Masters Degree preferred in Politics, Political Science, Economics or Trade
- Must have significant experience in the pharmaceutical industry including experience in medicines, vaccines, and consumer health/otc/fmcg
- Must have experience working for a national government on issues related to trade and commercial policy in order to understand trade positioning development, negotiations, priority setting, and policy development within a government setting
- Experience representing the pharmaceutical industry or a national government in international trade fora, such as FTA negotiations, regional trade bodies such as APEC, WTO Trade rounds, or WEF meetings
- Awareness of complex political and other external environment drivers that underscore decision-making and actions by governments, international organizations or other influencers will be required to develop advocacy and influencing plans to enable GSK to respond to the changing, external environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of the global health policy landscape in order to strengthen existing and future relationships with key stakeholders and decision makers
- Ability to focus on a core set of objectives that will truly matter to the business, and internally advocate for that focus by aligning stakeholders within GSK
- Awareness of being an "outsider-inside" and managing the complexity of translating external intelligence into the organization and working to shape internal responses
- Experience in high level decision making so as to ensure appropriate strategies are developed and implemented
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills, including formal presentation techniques
- Highly developed analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively within a complex matrix of relationships and issues
- Proven ability to influence others at both peer and senior levels within and outside the organization
- Effectively manage cultural diversity and differences between working procedures of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders with diverse expertise and areas of focus across multiple corporate sites
- Capacity to work on issues across a number of major GSK functions simultaneously with broad direction
- Proven ability in transparent and timely project reporting and project management
- Proven ability in working flexibly across time-zones.
WHO ARE WE?
At GSK we are a science-led global healthcare company. We research and develop a broad range of innovative products in three primary areas of Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and Consumer Healthcare. Our mission is inspiring and challenging - to help people do more, feel better and live longer.
We have a significant global presence with commercial operations in more than 150 countries, a network of 86 manufacturing sites in 36 countries and large R&D centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
At GSK we are all inspired by the difference we make and challenge ourselves every day to improve the lives of patients and consumers. That's why we have created an environment where everyone feels valued, able to develop, contribute to our mission and be proud of what we achieve.
You will join GSK's vision to do more, feel better and live longer:
Find out how you can do this .
WHO WILL I BE WORKING WITH?
Click here to meet your team.
HOW DO I DEVELOP MY CAREER?
To support you in achieving your role and career ambitions you'll be given the opportunity to:
- Play an important role in delivering our mission
- Be an essential part of diverse, global team
- Develop others as part of your own professional growth
You will also have regular personal development meetings with your line manager to give you the opportunity to create a fulfilling career at GSK.
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED?
The Total Reward Package offered is:
- Competitive Salary
- Competitive on Target Bonus
- 26-days paid holiday
- Personal Healthcare, with the option to purchase family cover
- GSK Pension
- Share & Save Schemes
- Total Reward Discounts
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.