Category Manager, Open to flexible working
Category Manager, Open to flexible working
Would you like to join our best in class Category team? Our Category team has been voted #1 in the entire industry by our Customers for our category development support (Advantage Group Personal Care & Healthcare OTC survey results 2017)!
Our Category Team Vision is to win with our Customers via thought leadership delivering profitable Category and Brand growth through actionable shopper insight.
We have a very exciting opportunity for an experienced Category Manager to join our new "Commercial Excellence" Consumer division where we will have with full ownership and accountability for Shopper Insights, Category Development and Shopper Marketing execution under one dedicated team. Ensuring that science and shopper insights are at the heart of our decision making, you will have unique access to the GSK Shopper Science Lab with world class, leading edge facilities!
About the role:
Responsible for defining and implementing Category Management strategies with key retail customers across a particular product category (Oral Health or Wellness).
Proactively deliver compelling insights and category arguments that give confidence to our stakeholders both internal and external that as category experts GSK understands how to drive long term sustainable category growth.
Working closely with customer partners to deliver category thought leadership challenging conventional thinking to co create inspiring 3 year Category Vision, Drivers and Tactics to gain advantage for our brands and drive sustainable, profitable growth.
Core Capabilities & Behaviours
Work across boundaries:
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships, Influence internally and external stakeholders and work in a collaborative manner.
- Ensure clear understanding of customer dynamics, inspiring and giving confidence to our key retailer partners.
- Gain agreement from others to support ideas or take action using fact based recommendations. Establish and work to continually improve productive long term relationships.
- Challenge conventional thinking & ways of working, leading the wider cross-functional team to proactively look for new exciting ways to drive category growth.
- Ensure that category is at the heart of Customer Engagement Days and internal Commercial Planning Process (CPP) by working within a cross functional team to create actionable category, customer & shopper insight driven plans.
- Be accountable. Set clear & achievable targets.
- Propose ideas to drive category performance grounded in insight
- Identify the big wins for the GSK, the customer & the category, short, medium & long term and prioritise team work plan accordingly
- Question when things could be done better, take appropriate risks and learn from mistakes.
- Be the voice of the category and customer internally, ensure customer insight is at the heart of all GSK decision making
- Define the "so what" from the data, taking insights forward to create a compelling customer story and tangible action using an array of sources.
- Proactively monitor, evaluate and analyse customer performance against our competitive set and categories. Identify opportunities and risks to proactively take to key stakeholders.
Develop capability & talent
- Ability to get the best out of individuals holding all members of a team accountable for delivering quality results.
- Develop early talent within the team via direct line management, coaching and mentoring.
Live our values
- Acting as a role model, ensuring everything you do is in line with our values, putting the consumer at the heart of everything we do.
- Creating a healthy, engaged and inclusive working environment that is sustainable over time.
- Core Deliverables of category team.
Co-develop ongoing, Sell & Execute 3 year Category Strategy for competitive advantage in key customers
- Work with customer partners to co-develop an inspiring 3 year Category Vision, Drivers and Tactics, challenge conventional thinking, and think outside the norm.
- Work with global team to Identify and quantify the drivers of category performance that support each customer's growth strategies.
- Work closely with Marketing to Identify required shopper behaviour changes and to implement the tactics that sit behind individual growth drivers.
- Use GSK shopper Science Lab to set up and implement category testing and trial initiatives including customer interface, analysis and monitoring.
- Evolution and implementation UK based category strategy that delivers against the needs of GSK/the shopper and the category with the retailer.
- Work with wider category management team to evolve a rolling 3 year Category Vision, Drivers and Tactics.
- Set up and implement category testing and trial initiatives including customer interface, analysis and monitoring.
- Work in conjunction with CCM to populate Tool kits i.e. ROS, SKU hierarchy etc.
- Develop and implement customer facing range strategies.
- Become the voice of the shopper & customer internally at GSK during the business planning process e.g. SKU rationalisation
- Become the voice of the retailer internally as part of CPP (feeding in retailer strategies, SRP requirements, range review timings etc).
- Champion collecting & integrating ongoing insights/analysis (shopper, category, channel & customer) leading to compelling and selling commercial propositions.
- Ensuring that category plans are integrated, understood and supported externally by key customers.
- Lead development and implementation of optimal ranges and planogram solutions for GSK brands within assigned category across key prioritised customers that meet the needs of the category strategy including post range review analysis.
- Responsible for delivering value to customers through relevant category/shopper/ customer/consumer insights and GSK initiatives that unlock value growth for the customer/shopper and category.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Closing date for applications: 21st January 2019
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
- Degree educated
- Experience in turning data into insights from Nielsen and Kantar data.
- Ability to set strategy, deliver results, build and present compelling selling stories using data and insight.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to synthesise and integrate learning from multiple sources and see the connections in data, trends and events to generate insights.
- Significant Category Management experience, broad commerical experience and knowledge of the UK FMCG market.
At GSK, our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. Our three world-leading businesses research and deliver innovative medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. We need a talented and motivated workforce to deliver against our strategy. To achieve this, we strive to attract the best people and to create an environment that empowers and inspires.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.