Software Engineer - RPG (i Series) - Sunderland - Open to flexible working
Challenge. Create. Deliver. Evolve
As part of a new tech team based in Sunderland, you will deliver first class customer propositions to some of the UK’s most iconic brands and businesses. At BGL our customers are at the heart of what we do and our passion is to create great customer experiences.
We’re looking for Software Engineers with an unrivalled enthusiasm for their craft, who work best in a collaborative team environment. We’re passionate about empowering colleagues and do the same with our customers, allowing them to choose and purchase the right product at the right price for them.
Developing a variety of solutions using RPGLE on the IBM i platform in an Agile delivery team under the leadership of the Development/Technical Lead, guided by Product Owners.
- Develop first class software in an agile delivery team
- Solve complex problems and issues
- Champion simplicity. Contributing to the evolving culture of innovation, enthusiasm and passion
- Understand how our customers interact with our product
- Focus on delivery for the benefit of the customer
- Coach and mentor other engineers within the team
- Be part of our SWE community and sharing leanings
- Collaborate within a full stack delivery team utilising .Net, Integration/Mulesoft, Doc1, and RPG technologies.
What will it take to be successful as a Software Engineer at BGL Tech?
- Experience of building applications using free-format RPGLE
- Experience in the development and application of Service Programs and Procedures
- Some knowledge of SQL is desirable
- Ability to write clean, maintainable and efficient code following TDD/BDD practices
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and decision making skills
- Great communication and attention to detail
- Experience with IBM Rational Developer for i is desirable but not essential.
Due to the nature of our exciting expansion, we want to ensure you are inducted fully into our environment. As such, we require flexibility to accommodate working between Peterborough and Sunderland for an interim period as part of your onboarding experience. Details will be discussed throughout the interview process.
We are a leading digital distributor of insurance and household financial services to 9.5 million customers. The Group is organised in two Divisions: Insurance, Distribution and Outsourcing (IDO) and Price Comparison.
IDO provides a range of motor, home and life insurance products in partnership with several of the best-known brands in UK financial services and through own brands Budget Insurance, Dial Direct, Beagle Street and FiftyLife, all supported by state-of-the-art contact centres and digital platforms.
comparethemarket.com is one of the UK’s leading price comparison sites and LesFurets.com is a leading player in the French market.
With nearly 3,000 colleagues in the UK and Paris, we understand the importance of achieving a healthy lifestyle balance. Whether it’s working from home, flexible hours, part-time or job share, we aim to create an environment where colleagues can feel empowered to build a flexible working culture to cater to both their personal and professional lives in a way that works for them and for the business.
We grow because we are…
AMBITIOUS. We’re obsessed with delivering for our customers. We’re relentless in driving exceptional standards. We act boldly and take personal accountability.
We are CREATIVE. We think differently and disrupt markets to benefit consumers.
We are AUTHENTIC. We’re open, transparent and build trust. We challenge positively. We enjoy what we do and have fun doing it.
We are UNITED. We’re one BGL. We respect, encourage and care for each other. We work, grow and win together.
Awesome stuff you get at BGL Tech
- Breath taking views of the river Wear and the amazing Northern Spire bridge from the office
- Subsidised onsite restaurant
- Innovation Days
- Great work-life balance
- Awesome kit for all new starters
- Daily free fruit
- On site car park
- Shops within walking distance of the office
- Free Desk Massage
- Regular MeetUps and Social evenings
- Secure Bike Racks
- Kitchen facilities, with free tea and coffee and lots lots more.