Finance Director, part time - 2 days per week
Reports to: Executive Director
Key Internal Relationships: Development Director, Learning Director, Treasurer, Chair of trustees, chair of development committee
Location: London Music Masters office (central London)
Hours: Part time (0.4) (hours and days flexible)
Salary: c. £50,000 (pro rata)
Benefits: Contributory pension, incl. 5% employer contribution
Holiday: 20 days + bank holidays (pro rata) + office closure during Christmas period (3-4 days)
Start date: April/May 2019
Closing date for applications: 17.00 Tuesday 16 April. Interviews are provisionally scheduled for the week beginning 22 April.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a qualified accountant with experience of the charitable sector. They will be an engaging, motivated individual who shares our values of inclusion and excellence, believes in the power of music for children and young people and wants to use their skills to make a difference in the world. They will join a small senior management team and have direct input to the strategic growth and development of the charity. 80% of our income is raised via donations from individuals, and charitable trusts and foundations so a good working knowledge of the regulations pertaining to charity finance is essential. As a member of the senior management team, the Finance Director will be an ambassador for the organisation and will be confident engaging with a wide range of stakeholders.
We welcome applicants from all social and cultural backgrounds.
The Finance Director will be responsible for:
Strategic financial management
- Contribute, as a member of the senior team, to the organisation’s strategy and business planning
- Act as a knowledge centre for all financial enquiries
- Ensure all accounts and accounting records are properly balanced and submitted for audit each year within timescales laid down by the Executive Director and in accordance with existing statutory regulations.
- Prepare draft annual accounts for audit and, in addition, support and liaise with an external auditor to ensure statutory compliance of the annual accounts, including sending them to the Charity Commission and Companies House
- Provide accurate and relevant information to trustees through attendance at board meetings, submission of quarterly finance updates and by maintaining an excellent relationship with the treasurer (appointment pending)
- Ensure budget setting, monitoring and forecasting activities are completed in a timely manner
Day to day financial management
- Monitor cash flow, and ensure that the senior team is kept informed of projections
- Prepare reconciliations and review performance against budget, working with senior managers to monitor variances from budget
- Liaise with our external payroll provider to ensure that payroll is produced accurately and on time
- Ensure pensions are administered in compliance with legislation and LMM’s Nest records and contributions kept up to date,
- Prepare monthly management accounts, including forecasts and commentary
- Monitor reserves , pro-actively managing the balance of restricted and unrestricted funds
- Support development team in monitoring progress against target and reporting pipeline and prospects
- Accurately identify restricted income and match spending appropriately
- Prepare budgets and reports as required for specific funders and funding applications
- Make all payments to suppliers using the online banking facility and keeping appropriate records
- Ad hoc project work: evaluation of projects, preparation of financial scenarios
Support the Office and Finance Assistant to:
- Ensure that all transactions are properly accounted for, coded and input using SAGE Line 50 accounting software
- Prepare invoices for schools and parent contributions, chase payments using online payment platforms
- Analyse and record credit card transactions
- Reconcile income with Donorfy, our fundraising database
- Monitor income and prepare monthly income reports for the development team
- Manage petty cash
- Reconcile supplier accounts
- Manage records of instruments
- Bank all monies received promptly and in accordance with financial procedures
Skills and Experience
- Qualified accountant (CIMA or ACA) with recent hands-on experience running the finance function of a medium-sized charity or social enterprise (minimum £1m income). This may be as a paid or voluntary role.
- Strong IT skills including accounting software experience (Sage Line 50)
- Advanced Excel proficiency
- Confidence in building models for financial forecasting
- Ability to communicate effectively at board level
- Ability to communicate financial information to non-financial colleagues
In addition, we are interested in the level to which candidates have:
- Knowledge of the Arts sector and/or music education.
Personal qualities required for success
- The successful applicant will be motivated by the strong social outcomes of the charity, and share the organisation-wide commitment to inclusion and excellence.
- They will be exceptionally well organised, with a can-do attitude and great attention to detail.
- They will thrive working as part of a team and take pride in a job well done.
Please click the apply button below to make your application.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to bringing people of all backgrounds into our team and creating a genuinely inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive. We are actively recruiting individuals with African, Caribbean or Asian heritage. Candidates who identify with these ethnicities and meet the minimum criteria for the role will be guaranteed an interview.
If you are unsure whether or not your skills match the job description but are interested in the role and would like to have an informal discussion prior to submitting an application, please call Executive Director, Rob Adediran, on 0207 643 5085, or email him at email@example.com
More searches like this
- Finance £50,000 - £60,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Accountancy £50,000 - £60,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Bookkeeping £50,000 - £60,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Finance Department £50,000 - £60,000 part time jobs in London (Central)
- Charity £50,000 - £60,000 part time jobs in London (Central)