Head of PR & Communications (Open to flexible working)
Hello, we're Utility Warehouse
We help people get on with their lives and spend their time how they want to.
And we’re bringing together a nation of self-starters to build a different type of utility company.
One where partners can run their own business and reach the goals that matter to them.
For customers, we offer permanent peace of mind. One bill, great value and no need to ever switch again.
And for our people, we provide clear opportunities to help them achieve both their professional and their personal ambitions.
A bit more about us
You probably won't have heard much about us, but we're one of the UK's biggest, home-grown success stories of the last 20 years.
We're a FTSE 250 business and knocking on the door of £1 billion in annual revenue. But in two decades of phenomenal change and growth as a business, there are two things that have remained constant:
- We bundle together all our customers' household utilities and send them a single monthly bill
- We don't promote our services directly to customers - we have 40,000 partners around the country who recommend us
And we know we’re onto something - we were the Which? ‘Utilities Brand of the Year’ in 2018 - but we’re only just getting started.
What we’re looking for
In a nutshell, someone who can take charge of building our reputation amongst the general public and with the media.
This is a new role - and an entirely new discipline for us - so we’re looking for a hands-on leader who can create something from nothing, and build a dynamic, motivated team.
What you're responsible for
- You’ll lead all aspects of our communications activity, from setting the strategies and metrics through to execution and delivery.
- You’ll build a case for growing the comms team based on your plans and desired outcomes, and then recruit and manage that team, including appraisals and training.
- You’ll build our brand through proactive campaign activity, generating ideas for media opportunities, events and social campaigns.
- You’ll manage stories about our business reactively and in a considered, systematic way.
- You’ll also seek out things which might be considered contentious and prepare the appropriate responses.
- You’ll develop relationships with key journalists, writers, broadcasters and influencers.
- You’ll grow our profile online and help improve the quality of our presence on our own channels as well as third-party platforms e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn.
- You’ll work with the team to improve online customer reviews e.g. Trustpilot, Google.
- You’ll develop relationships with consumer groups and industry bodies, like Which?.
- You’ll manage internal comms and work with our People team to grow our employer brand.
- You’ll work as part of the leadership team within Marketing, alongside the Heads of Product Marketing, Creative & Design, Marketing Operations and Marketing CRM.
A bit more about you
- You’re resourceful and a brilliant networker. You’re comfortable dealing with journalists.
- You’re a strong and persuasive presenter, and are used to building support for ideas and initiatives amongst a wide range of personality types.
- You’re not phased when things go wrong and have a few battle scars from skirmishes in previous roles.
- As a leader, you work hard to inspire your colleagues and go out of your way to understand what makes them tick.
- You’re empathetic and you build partnerships internally and externally based on trust and performance.
- You champion professionalism and rigour, deliver broad programmes of work with excellence and have a strong eye for detail.
- You’re fast without being thoughtless, and you prefer action to naval-gazing.
- You’ve cut your teeth in comms, PR or campaigning roles, either in-house or at an agency.
- And like all UW people, you’re motivated and ambitious, both for yourself and the business you work for.
What we’re offering
The opportunity to join an established but dynamic business that’s going through significant change and still has huge growth potential.
A very competitive basic salary, some great benefits and the potential to join our share option scheme.
If we achieve our business and brand goals, you’ll be one of the most sought-after marketing talents in London.
Get in touch
If this role sounds like it was made for you, then do please get in touch.
And if it doesn’t but you still like the sound of Utility Warehouse, then drop us a line anyway - we’re hiring in all sorts of positions across the business.