Lead & Senior Data Engineer - Full or Part time - Flexible
Closing date: 27th May 2019
Both our Lead Data Engineer and Senior Data Engineer posts are an opportunity to be part of the ongoing transformation of the UKHO into a data-centric and primarily digital organisation, with the aim of becoming a world leading marine geospatial information agency (MGIA) by 2020.
Either role may be for you if you enjoy applying production engineering principles and techniques to deliver geospatial data to where it is needed, in the correct form, via pipelines that apply leading edge technologies such as deep learning, distributed computing and serverless architectures.
As a UKHO Data Engineer you will be working:
- for a government organisation which is 'up for transformation'
- in a brand-new purpose-built building
- flexibly with agile teams
- in what will soon be one of the best places to work in the South West
You will be empowered to deliver.
Working with the Principal Data Engineer, Senior Delivery Manager and the wider office you are key to helping deliver the future vision of the UKHO.
You will be responsible for the design and development of production quality software systems, with a focus on data pipelines. We are working with a number of interesting geospatial datasets, including bathymetry, global satellite imagery, vessel data and many more.
The Data Engineering profession is new at the UKHO so you’ll have a chance to influence how it evolves. As a member of a small (but growing), adaptable team, the skills you bring will be unique and will complement those of the other engineers. We will support your professional development with training and the opportunity to attend industry conferences.
You will work using DevOps-style continuous improvement and deployment in an agile working environment. The UKHO employs a matrix management approach under a smart working ethos in a shared working space.
Your average day may involve the following:
- Designing, building, testing and deployment of production data pipelines and associated software systems.
- Evaluating new technologies and building prototype systems.
- Gaining familiarity with new datasets.
- Anticipating and mitigating against project-level challenges or risks.
- Leading team delivery and ongoing maintenance of data pipeline systems in multiple technology and problem domains.
- Presenting work to the wider team and to stakeholders.
- Setting standards, coaching and sharing knowledge with more junior Data Engineers.
Your details will be sifted, and an initial telephone interview conducted, against the Civil Service Experience, Behaviours and Technical Success Profiles (Level 2:Senior and Level 3:Lead), including the following specific criteria:
- You must hold a degree in Computer Science or in a scientific or engineering discipline, as well as having significant practical experience of working in a Data Engineering-related role.
- Experience of designing, building, testing and deploying production data pipelines, ideally for big data.
- Be capable of taking the initiative and working with minimal supervision, taking ownership of tasks in addition to leading others.
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex technical concepts both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough understanding of the geospatial problem domain, geospatial data formats and data types.
- Expert knowledge in at least one programming language including Python, plus ideally Scala.
- Proficiency in the use and administration of the Linux Operating System, Cloud IaaS self-service environments and deployment automation tools.
Successful candidates from the initial stage will then be invited to second round interview for either the Lead Data Engineer or Senior Data Engineer role.
The second round interview will go into the above topics in more depth, and will include problem solving exercises and a technical assessment.
How to apply and interview process
Please send your CV saved in Word with as many examples of your experience as possible by clicking the apply now button by 12pm on 27th May 2019.
This role is open to part-time and job share application and those seeking flexible working hours including working from home.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction.
We may hold telephone calls with you as part of the interview process.
Should you be offered an interview, please be aware there may be a selection exercise which could include a presentation, written test, technical evaluation exercise or a scenario-based activity. If you require any reasonable adjustments during these exercises, please include this info
Please note where we receive a high volume of applicants, only those selected for interview will be contacted.