Scientific Director, B-cell Biology, Open to flexible working
In this Director level leadership role, you will be accountable for establishing and leading a team focused on identifying new therapeutic opportunities relating to the modulation of B-cell function in disease. You will report into to one of the Senior Biology Directors in the Adaptive Immunology RU at GSK Stevenage.
Your demonstrated expertise in B-cell immunology coupled with an understanding of state of the art immunophenotyping, genetic and genomic approaches to understand cellular phenotypes and gene function (scRNAseq, CRISPR) will enable you and the team to characterise B-cell function in disease and initiate integrated target discovery and validation programmes.
As a leader you will be expected to interact productively and in an enterprise fashion with teams across the Adaptive Immunology Research Unit as well as with partners in Human Genetics, Functional Genomic and Molecular Design teams at GSK. The role will also involve establishing external collaborations and representing the organisation externally in this field. To this end you will be a strong communicator and you will be able to work and drive positive collaborative interactions with your peers and encourage similar behaviours in your team.
Your background will include academic accomplishments in this field relating to understanding the role that B-cell subtypes play in human disease. This could be gained through a career in academia and/or expertise developed in industry. You will have had experience of leading a group of scientists to develop new disease understanding using state of the art cellular and molecular techniques and ideally have experience of driving therapeutic approaches in this area.
- Accountable for leading the B-cell research strategy in the Adaptive RU, liaising with the Adaptive Immunity Research Unit Leadership Team
- Accountable for the leadership of a team of experienced discovery scientists
- Co-ordinating the integration of immunophenotyping, genetic and genomic approaches to drive target discovery and validation initiatives relating to B-cell function.
- Responsible for supporting discovery programme progression from hit to lead, lead optimisation, through to candidate selection and Phase 1 clinical studies
- Liaising with external experts and collaborators
- Responsible for ensuring quality, consistency and best practice within line
- Accountable for scientific development and mentoring of scientists within line
- Fostering a culture of scientific rigour and continuous improvement in line with the Innovation Performance and Trust (IPT) strategy at GSK
- Ensuring compliance with GSK Values and Policies.
- PhD in Immunology
- 5 years experience in immunology in academia or industry
- Demonstrable track record of working on B-cell biology, disease mechanisms and/or targets
- Track record of managing complex technical, scientific and operational activities
- Track record of leading, developing and motivating teams in a matrix of reporting line
- Exhibits strong IPT behaviours and expectations
- Strong leadership skills demonstrating vision and strategy and effective leadership
- Proven ability to work routinely across boundaries and establish cross functional matrix groups
- Proven ability to coach/mentor, develop and performance manage staff
- 10years experience in immunology in academia or industry
- Experience of driving new therapeutic hypotheses in the field of B-cell function
- Experience of applying state of the art immunophenotyping, genetic and genomic approaches to understanding immune cell function
At GSK, our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.