Chief Economist - open to flexible working arrangement
Chief Economist, Strategy & Competition
At the FCA, we’re creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We’re establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
The Chief Economist Division provides rigorous economic thinking, research, analysis and advice to help all FCA functions deliver on its strategic objective of making financial services markets work well, and to assess and demonstrate the impact of FCA interventions on those markets.
As well as managing the FCA’s economic research and analysis, leading 50 economists, the FCA’s Chief Economist jointly heads the wider Competition and Economics Division.
The role holder will be the FCA figurehead and thought leader on economic matters, both internally and externally. Providing economics expertise, the Chief Economist will shape the technical economics direction for the FCA, setting the framework and leading teams to support the FCA’s regulatory and competition activity. Providing economic and analytical rigour, the role holder will help evaluate and solve complex regulatory problems across a range of FCA activities, including challenges presented by Brexit and rapidly developing innovative technology and related financial products.
- Lead, promote and embed the discipline of economics and analytical rigour within the FCA – emphasising and enabling its role as an evidence based regulator.
- Provide an evidential basis to and ensure analytical coherence in FCA strategy formulation, delivery and evaluation.
- Provide counsel and thought leadership to ExCo and the Board on economic matters.
- Lead teams of economists and other analysts, supporting all FCA divisions.
- Act as “head of profession” for all economists within the FCA.
- Maintain an external profile, demonstrating expert thought leadership and recognised credibility for the FCA on economic and regulatory matters.
You will have:
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate teams through a growth mindset
- Strong technical economics expertise, with good knowledge and practical experience of competition and regulatory economics
- Strong ability to communicate economic expertise and contribution of economic disciplines to non-experts.
- Ability to synthesize economic theory and analytical discipline with regulatory practices
- Strong leadership and management skills; proven ability to lead, motivate and inspire teams as well as willingness to tackle performance issues and build a high performing team.
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate a matrix team of economists and analysts across the FCA.
- Senior experience as an economist in financial services firms and/or consultancies, with regulatory/competition experience.
- Experience of contributing to relevant economic issues and debates outside of FCA (with other regulators, Government, professional bodies and forums, and academia).
- Ability to contribute expert thought leadership in competition and regulatory economics within the FCA and externally.
Please note that the FCA is open to a flexible working arrangement, such as a job share.
The deadline for application is 23:55 on Thursday 30th May 2019.
Please be aware that applications are being handled by Odgers Click the apply button to be redirected to the Odgers website and submit your CV