Director, AI ML, Open to flexible working
At GlaxoSmithKline we have created a world-leading data and computational environment to enable large scale scientific experiments that exploit GSK's unique access to data. Our focus is on bringing data, analytics & science together into solutions for our scientists to develop medicines for patients.
We are seeking to grow our team with brilliant and diverse contributors with technical ability. We are looking for machine learning experts that want to be part of a team that discovers new medicines. This is an exciting role that will stretch your knowledge and curiosity, offering the opportunity to learn new skills and work within a global community.
This is a hands-on position where you will be empowered to be creative, ambitious and bold, to solve novel R&D problems and have the potential to directly impact the lives of patients living with disease. We have impressive toolkits and world class data, and we are now looking for talented people to join us.
As a Director AI/ML we'd like you to be able to:
- Identify opportunities to apply the latest advancements in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence to build, test, and validate predictive models
- Identifies and leads departmental initiatives with high business impact; ensures delivery to successful conclusion
- Provide first class machine learning and strategic input to projects; leading thinking and strategic planning for design, implementation and direction and able to defend robustly in meetings with senior leaders
- Offer, challenge and solicit advice via peer review to enhance quality, share best practice and embed innovation
- Drives internal awareness and strategy for adoption of emerging machine learning methodologies
- Create algorithms to extract information from large, multiparametric data sets
- Deploy your algorithms to production to identify actionable insights from large databases
- Compare results from various methodologies and recommend best techniques to stake holders
- Design, develop and implement analytical solutions using a variety of commercial and open source tools (common tools include Python, R, TensorFlow)
- Develop and embed automated processes for predictive model validation, deployment, and implementation
- Connect and collaborate with subject matter experts in biology, chemistry, and medicine.
- Leads, or makes major contributions to, industry-wide initiatives as part of an external working group/committee
- Impactful interactions with external experts and/or other organisations regarding all machine learning aspects for supported projects
- A degree in Engineering, Statistics, Data Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Computational Biology, Computational Chemistry or related quantitative field
- Expert understanding of a programming language such as Python or R.
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework such as TensorFlow, Keras, or PyTorch
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively as part of a team to both teach and learn every day
- Advanced Degree
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.