Senior Corporate Tax Advisor - Open to flexible working
The Birmingham Tax team plan to grow over the coming years and we are setting out a clear message that we‘re building a team for the future. We want the right people on board to achieve these growth objectives. Our tax team is a successful and growing one thanks to a large and varied client base ranging from multinational listed businesses to start up, entrepreneurial venture backed covering various sectors like Automotive, Medical, Health, Transportation and Manufacturing. Many of the Birmingham team work flexibly and are actively encouraged to find a working pattern that gives them the work life balance that works for them and our clients. EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
The role means we can offer you the opportunity to gain experience of the mid-market and enhance your skills within a national markets context. Frequently you’ll be working with finance teams at clients to 'stand in' shoes of tax person.
As we seek to further grow the tax business in the Midlands and build new contacts and engagements with businesses across the region, we are looking for tax professionals who excel at client relationships and who have the confidence and skills to win new work and clients. Business development skills, in terms of being able to go out and meet new contacts, understand their business needs and review how we can add value to them by addressing those needs, is therefore a key requirement.
As a corporate tax professional working from EY’s Birmingham office you’ll provide a full range of tax services, comprising both compliance and advisory work. You’ll be working alongside specialists on a day to day basis to broaden your experience of different tax areas to help our clients through the changes in planning, financial accounting, tax compliance and maintaining effective relationships with the tax authorities. The varied work encompasses issues that include CFCs, loss relief, reorganisations, patent box, BEPs and international tax means ultimately this role will offer broad experience with significant exposure to senior stakeholders and a more varied portfolio to help you develop your career with EY.
Your key responsibilities
- To contribute to the efficient and successful delivery of tax services to the client
- Maintain tax relationships with clients and provide high levels of client service
- Grow relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and expectations
- Contribute to winning new work by proactively focusing on existing clients and contribute to winning new clients.
- Focus on the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business approach taken
- Responsible for day-to-day client liaison
- Coach and develop our teams
- Provide full tax services to a client portfolio
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong technical skills and keen to develop further
- Ability to grow strong client relationships
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to refer upwards
- Client focused and commercially aware
- Ability to grow effective relationships at all levels
- Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically
- Ability to coach and develop more junior members of the team
Experience of advising on both compliance and advisory work, experience of issues including CFCs, loss relief, reorganisations, patent box, BEPs and international tax issues
Up to date knowledge of changes in the tax environment (BEPS, CBCR etc)
To qualify for the role you must have
- ACA/CA/ACCA/CTA; or Tax Inspectors with full Technical Training Course; or Law qualification
- Experienced corporate tax practitioner
- Experience in tax accounting/tax audit
- Proven ability to read and interpret existing and new tax statute
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Project management skills, plan and prioritize work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget
What we look for
- Team player; ability to integrate with new teams quickly
- Outgoing with good relationship skills and deliver quality output
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.