Consultant, Tax Preparation Team, Open to flexible working
Deloitte’s Tax Management Consulting (“TMC”) team have a market leading reputation in London and across Europe, with the largest of the Big 4 tax in both process and technology departments. Given recent and proposed legislative changes demand for our services is growing rapidly. This role brings together expertise in compliance associated technology solutions and tax accounting.
Joining the TMC practice will give you access to senior leadership across the myriad of industries and markets within the UK, across our North-West Europe region and internationally. Your advice will help ensure that their businesses comply with their UK tax obligations in an efficient and timely manner. You will develop strong relationships with clients, becoming a trusted advisor and will build an understanding of how different types of businesses and structures operate.
Our people are talented, out-going & flexible individuals who are confident working side by side with senior personnel. They have deep experience in their specialism but are able to adapt to the ever-evolving world at the leading edge of taxation compliance and tax management consultancy. The role of Consultant sits within the Tax Preparation Team. This dedicated team within the tax practice deals with the significant corporate tax compliance work that Deloitte undertakes. This work covers tax compliance from across the firm and across the country. The team, of over 100 people, is located in both Belfast and Hyderabad (India).
Our Consultants will have the opportunity to take the lead on delivering key parts of our client services. You will use your commercial awareness and professional expertise, along with leveraging the skills and expertise of others, to deliver the best possible experience and outcomes for our clients. You might own or manage key elements of a client relationship and, with an appropriate level of support, will be expected to proactively identify innovative solutions for your clients and pursue new business development opportunities by utilising your networks and market knowledge. Our Consultants are also either people managers or act as coaches and role models to the Analysts in their team. You will be a confident team player and enjoy sharing your knowledge and expertise with others, as well as continuing to build your own technical expertise or specialism.
The team works across a wide range of industries and varying complexities of work covering all aspects of the corporation tax cycle, from gathering information to submitting the returns. We can offer full time and part time office based opportunities, as well as roles that also give the opportunities for extensive travel to client sites across the UK.
You will be responsible for:
- Assisting clients on compliance with their UK direct tax obligations in an efficient and timely manner.
- Advising clients on the impact of recent and proposed legislation as they apply to specific industries and clients.
- Assisting with the transformation of the annual tax process through process improvement, technology, risk and organisational design.
- Reviewing all complexities of tax returns and ensure the quality of work is technically accurate and prepared in line with the firm’s standard approach. In addition, you may be required to prepare complex tax returns from time to time.
- Planning and managing the implementation of identified technology solutions.
- Working effectively as part of a team to deliver these tax compliance projects.
- Provide guidance to junior team members and be able to identify and solve issues as well as improve and grow services.
- Identification and documentation of issues and preparation of client queries
- Assisting and resolving queries in order to finalise the tax computations
- Develop and upskill the team by sharing best practices and insight.
- Preparation of related tax accounting disclosures
- All other corporate compliance related activities as required
Your work, your choice
How long does impact take? How long is a piece of string? How many seconds does a solution contain? How can we possibly tell? After all, impact can be huge or small. Immediate or years in the making. At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk.
We, therefore, carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. If the working pattern you are looking for is not specifically indicated below, we are happy to discuss alternative arrangements.
Location: This role is based in our Lincoln Building office in Belfast with flexibility for potential travel to client site.
Suggested work pattern: Permanent full-time / Permanent part-time
Your professional experience
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Experience of working in a corporate tax compliance role and understanding of preparation processes
- Good related corporate tax technical knowledge and skills
- Proactive approach to work and completing work by required deadlines
- Proven team working skills
- Able to follow defined procedures and protocols
- Competent IT skills including a good understanding of Excel
- You will ideally be ACA/ATT/CTA qualified
- Ability to develop understanding and application of Thomson Reuters ONESOURCE Corporate Tax
- Exposure to other tax areas, (for example Non Resident Landlord and Partnerships) is not essential but would be desirable
Your Service Line: Tax Consulting
Arguably, the most stimulating career environment in our industry, tax at Deloitte is a far cry from tax at other firms. Here, it’s all about collaborating with colleagues at the top of their game, across disciplines, for clients who urge us to constantly push the boundaries of our creativity. You’ll find a diverse mix of people, all working together to deliver best-in-class advice. And you’ll discover a structured programme that will help you develop even greater expertise. From fascinating projects to a wealth of secondment opportunities, both in the UK and overseas, you can enjoy a broad and rich career experience.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: North West Europe within a Global firm
The UK, Ireland and Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands and the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) have combined to create a new Deloitte North West Europe firm. This is to support our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and to increase our global influence and lead in EMEA.
A broader geographical shape will create new career development opportunities, helping us develop the very best talent across the region and the world.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2017 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families and to have been in their Top 10 for seven consecutive years. Additionally we received the Working Families Best for All Stages of Motherhood special award in 2016.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and registered office at 2 New Street Square, London, EC4A 3BZ. Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NWE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”), its network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities.
Requisition code: 168664