Sustainability Manager, Open to flexible working
We have an exciting opportunity for a Sustainability Manager to join our Environmental Health, Safety and Sustainability team here at GSK. You will be part of a team who are working towards the GSK Mission.
At GSK being commercially successful and operating responsibly is how we will generate sustainable returns for our shareholders and deliver on our purpose, to help patients and consumers around the world, do more, feel better and live longer.
In September 2018, we announced a new set of commitments across three focus areas, to deliver the greatest possible long-term impact in improving health around the world. This role directly impacts on these commitments. For more details please visit: https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/responsibility/
The key role of this role is to work with the various business units in developing and executing business specific plans to deliver the GSK strategy and meet the stretching sustainability targets. The role will generally focus on partnering with one or two Business Units - eg Biologicals, Pharma Supply Chain, External Supply, Procurement, R&D, and Commercial, on specific improvement projects. The role requires external and internal engagement to develop future strategies and credible goals for GSK.
Your key Responsibilities will include:
- You will support identification and execution of sustainability improvement projects working closely with staff within business units. On some smaller projects you will coordinate the activities of multi-discipline teams. This includes product stewardship, biodiversity, Scope 3 emissions and supply chain activities.
- You will also be responsible to support the Head of Sustainability for communications and engagement with staff and suppliers, this may include leading or hosting conferences and meetings.
- Leading the business unit in putting processes in place to capture and interpret sustainability data and provide the business unit with a "dashboard" of progress on environmental sustainability identifying high performing and low performing areas compared to the agreed business targets.
- Working with suppliers and procurement teams you will have the responsibility for ensuring development and leading the supplier awards programme for sustainability.
- In this role you will help build Business Unit Teams to understand more about the detail of environmental sustainability principles relevant to the business unit. This includes being an 'expert' on specific areas such as product stewardship, deforestation free sourcing, Scope 3 supply chain ambitions and other key developing sustainability themes.
- To be successful you will also need to remain current in the general field of environmental sustainability and manage your professional growth and development to ensure this.
- Within the Environmental Sustainability CoE you will be expected to develop specialist expertise in agreed areas - for example Carbon Footprinting, Water Footprinting, Waste to Landfill, Pharmaceuticals in the Environment, Responsible Sourcing. You will also be expected to maintain systems and work processes within the Environmental CoE which help create and maintain a capability to deliver improvement projects.
Interested in Applying?
Please note this is a permanent role which will be based at our Head office site, GSK House, in Brentford, Middlesex (South West London).
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements, please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
Closing date for applications: COB - Friday 19th July 2019.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above.
The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
You will possess a Degree or equivalent level of education ideally within Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Energy Engineering, Economics or sustainability-related disciplines discipline. In addition you should also possess:
- Evidence of strong strategic thinking and a track record of driving change in complex / matrix organisations.
- Strong stakeholder management skills and ability to influence at different levels of the organisation.
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) and influence key stakeholders at all levels of the organisation internally and externally
- High potential and ambition to grow and develop, continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally
- Suitable experience in sustainability including experience of developing, leading and managing sustainability programmes within other large corporate organisations or consultancy firms
- Demonstrable sustainability expertise. Clear understanding of sustainability reporting and frameworks (GRI 4, Dow Jones Sustainability Index, etc.) and able to interpret, articulate and apply sustainability theories and processes
- Strong creative ability and excellent written and verbal communications, with an ability to influence and motivate others to support team initiatives (leading by example) and prepare presentations and official communications with limited supervision
- Excellent time management and organisation skills, with very good attention to detail and an ability to manage multiple demands without losing focus or energy
- Experience of compiling information for reports
- Ability to use knowledge and understanding to help solve problems and improve the delivery of our programs
- Pro-active, self-motivated and eager to learn, with the ability to use own initiative
- Digitally savvy and with strong problem-solving skills, ability to cut through complexity and provide effective solutions
The following characteristics / experience would also be highly desirable:
- Master's degree
- Demonstrable experience of leading or managing sustainability programmes for companies or organisations.
GSK is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative medicines and brands. Our products are used by millions of people around the world, helping them to do more, feel better and live longer. Employing over 100,000 people globally, we have 71 manufacturing sites around the world. For more information on GSK please refer to our website: www.gsk.com
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.