Research and Development Consultants - Full time with FLEX, £25-45k DOE
Research & Development Consultants
Our client is looking to fill two roles:
Experienced R&D Consultant
London, England, United Kingdom, Full Time with Flexibility
Salary: £25-45K DOE
Deepen your R&D career in a totally flexible, autonomous environment
Do you love the thought of working on a wide variety of clients, from SME to RDEC, manufacturing to software, from simple companies to large groups, driving both the technology and the financial side of each claim? Do you want to do all this in an autonomous environment where you have complete control and flexibility to both achieve results and a healthy work-life balance? Are you excited by the opportunity to broaden your skills across the business, from dabbling in marketing to designing R&D training?
If this sounds like you, read on!
The client runs an “open culture”, using innovative practices like Holacracy, complete financial transparency (including salaries), self-set pay, and flexible and remote working. We work with many of the UK’s most innovative companies, helping them to maximise their government funding opportunities. Our goal is to become the number one provider in the software space, and so we are expanding our delivery team across all levels of experience. That’s where you come in.
As an R&D Consultant, you’ll be expected to get stuck in helping clients to get the best out of the company within a few weeks. You’ll have your own client book that you’ll be responsible for managing, all the way from initial client onboarding to congratulating them on their successful claim. You’ll be able to leverage your experience to shape our processes and make real changes happen.
For the Experienced R&D role you'll need:
- Minimum 2 years experience in delivering tax credits claims, or equivalent, including in-depth knowledge of the CIRD Comfortable speaking both on the phone and in front of clients, prospects and HMRC Effective written communication skills Experience managing a large book of clients featuring both SMEs and large companies A passion for technology Fantastic attention to detail and willingness to perform necessary administrative tasks
A few months in, on an average day, you might:
- Visit one of your high-profile London startup clients with a technical colleague and gather the information for their claim
- Liaise with another client’s FD or CEO to assess the qualifying expenditure
- Congratulate a client on a recent funding round
- Provide input to our dev team for how to improve our bespoke in-house CRM
- Do some self-study towards CIMA or another qualification you’re pursuing
- Close the work day with a drink on the terrace (if it’s sunny!)
For the R&D Consultant:
- You are passionate about technology.
- Ideally, you'll have previously nurtured B2B client relationships, or done something equivalent (like run your own business).
- You are keen to learn about basic accounting principles and how HMRC’s R&D Tax Credits scheme works.
- You're totally comfortable producing detailed spreadsheets and written text.
- If you have a background in technology (particularly software) or finance (corporate tax or accountancy) this is a definite bonus.
After 12 months in this role:
- You will be well on the way to a CIMA qualification, with the full support of the company
- You'll be an authority in government funding and will have learned how to read a company's financial statements.
- You will have built great relationships with a large number of companies, big and small, giving you a deeper understanding of how start-ups work.
- You'll also have had the chance to change the future of the company, by taking part in running your team and the business as a whole.
- You will build rapport with the founders and technical leaders of our client companies, so that you can represent their business in the best way when applying for government funding.
The company was founded 7.5 years ago and employs 35 people. In our culture everyone has the freedom, power and trust to do their best work. We call this open culture. Our way of working aims to uphold human aliveness and commercial success simultaneously; it’s been successful for us so far, although it's not for everyone.
We believe that people should be rewarded fairly for the work they do. There is no secrecy over salaries and the way we work them out. Aside from money, we offer a place where you can be yourself and engage in empowered, purposeful work. We want you to develop your skills and fulfil your potential. We have a flexible approach to working, and while this role will require you to attend face to face meetings, your time outside of those meetings can be as remote as you like. Our office is in the heart of the tech community, near Old Street, and has a fab roof terrace. You can take up to 6 weeks as holiday each year.
Teams are stronger when they have a diverse range of people. We welcome applications from everyone, regardless of the categories they put themselves in. We also encourage talented ‘square pegs’. If you think you’re the right person for the job even though you don’t quite fit the role spec, be daring and apply!