European Medical Affairs Lead, Oncology, Open to flexible working
Medical Affairs is a critical bridge between R&D and the commercial organisation to ensure that our medicines reach the appropriate patients. GSK has committed to building a new oncology business, with initial focus on selected EU markets. To this end, this is a critical role to ensure oncology resource and activities are aligned and deployed to business priorities in the EU region. Medical needs to build scientific expertise to provide greater insight and significant external presence to support entry in to the highly competitive Oncology space.
These changes require the establishment of a new accountable EU Oncology Medical Lead focused on a strategic asset, and who possesses strong leadership skills, demonstrated experience in navigating uncertainty, credibility and skills across pharmaceutical medicine and business acumen.
This is a regional medical leadership position for the Oncology Therapeutic area and aligned on to specific marketed or pipeline asset, reporting into the overall EU Oncology Medical Head. The incumbent will be accountable for providing the vision and leadership to ensure Medical Affairs excellence and to be a strategic scientific partner to both internal stakeholders and customers.
Accountable for ensuring the regional / Area medical organisation for the disease area has the right capabilities to deliver outstanding execution of plans, for performance management of the medical operational plan and evidence generation for the key markets in the region.
This role will represent the Europe Midsize and Cluster (EMC) Area in the regional medical team and appropriate commercial leadership teams and will be aligned primarily to driving execution in the non-priority markets in the EU region (the EMC markets). However, this role will also support the priority markets in the EU5 for strategy & operational plan development, product expertise, and performance reviews where appropriate.
Note: This is an asset focused role, leading either Belantamab Mafodotin for multiple myeloma or Niraparib for ovarian cancer.
- Responsible for Medical Affairs Activities relating to the assigned products and disease area, (including field medical activities) in conjunction with the Regional Medical Directors, Area Medical Directors and Country Medical Directors as appropriate. Act as the medical partner to the Regional/ Area Therapeutic Commercial Organisation.
- Ensures the medical voice of the customer and market is deeply understood, synthesised into medical insights and clearly translated into appropriate actions to enable appropriate use of our medicines for patients in the region.
- Leads the development and execution of regionally and commercially aligned medical plans for the assigned medicines within the specific Therapeutic area. (S)he is accountable for medical plan development and strategic deployment of all medical resources to achieve joint objectives.
- Oversee Phase IIIb/IV clinical development plans and Investigator-sponsored studies, for the assigned assets in the region/ Area by providing a consolidated regional perspective into long-term global clinical and value evidence strategies. Advocate for medical resources/data needed to support successful commercialisation of products.
- Lead the scientific and external engagement strategy for the asset/ disease area within the region. Support the countries in external scientific communications and evidence dissemination.
- Maintains deep product and disease expertise on the medicine(s) and includes market and competitive knowledge in all medical plans.
- Support the product specific training for Medical teams in the countries to deepen the product and scientific knowledge within the disease area.
- Enable a performance driven culture with clear metrics and business improvement embedded into the organisation and be accountable for metrics to measure and communicate asset-related Medical Affairs activities to demonstrate the value and achievements.
- Be recognised as a trusted partner with commercial providing medical guidance and input and aligning and supporting promotional engagement strategy.
- Accountable for Medical input and scrutiny into Launch excellence processes, Launch improvement workshops and LOC deep dives.
- Physician degree (or equivalent) with experience of oncology medical affairs
- Strong industry experience, spanning clinical development and medical affairs, with product launch experience.
- Commercialisation experience with solid knowledge of drug development, safety, regulatory/ market access and reimbursement requirements demonstrating deep understanding of the Global markets.
- Strategic thinking, business acumen, effective matrix leadership, with proven ability to motivate, influence, negotiate, and collaborate; strong project management skills; solid planning and organisational skills; strong scientific/analytical problem-solving skills
- Effective communication, influence, leadership and talent development
- Experience of hematology/oncology medical affairs
- Strong organisational, planning, and business acumen skills
- Proven ability to interpret customer needs as well as negotiation and influence skills
- Flexibility and ability to adjust to changing timelines and priorities
- Ability to produce concise and simple summaries of concepts and solutions
- Ability to cope under pressure with sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Ability to prioritise business needs and flexibility to address them when business appropriate
- Ability to work with new technology and in the digital space
- Proven ability to deliver effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management and scientific audiences using original or innovative techniques or style
- Medical Oncologist
Our pharmaceutical medicines business has a broad portfolio of innovative and established medicines. Currently, we are focusing on developing new medicines in Oncology, Immuno-Inflammation, Respiratory, and HIV/Infectious Diseases. The rebuilding of our Pharmaceuticals pipeline continues with most of our new medicines in development targeting modulation of the immune system. Major progress has been made in our immuno-oncology pipeline with medicines now in clinical development, reflecting organic progression, our recent acquisition of Tesaro, Inc., and our new global strategic alliance with Merck KGaA, also known as EMD Serono in the U.S.
In 2019, we anticipate significant news with respect to GSK's multiple new medicines in Oncology, Immuno-inflammation, Respiratory, and HIV/Infectious Diseases:
- FDA approval decision expected for dolutegravir + lamivudine.
- FDA filings planned for long-acting injectable cabotegravir + rilpivirine, and fostemsavir for highly treatment-experienced patients.
- Pivotal stage data readouts expected for BCMA for 4L multiple myeloma, Zejula for 1L maintenance ovarian cancer, and PD1 dostarlimab for endometrial cancer.
- Updated phase I PFS data from DREAMM-1 study for BCMA to be published in leading journal.
- Phase III start planned for anti-GMCSF for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Results of pivotal CAPTAIN study to support filing of Trelegy for use in asthma expected.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.