Associate Scientist- Biophysical and antibody-target binding characterisation
Open to flexible working
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Biopharm Discovery is a department dedicated to the discovery of novel and effective biopharmaceutical medicines. This department comprises several complementary functions focused on the progression of a portfolio of biopharmaceuticals from initial antibody discovery, expression and characterisation to molecular engineering and biological and physiochemical profiling
The successful candidates will gain an excellent understanding in a variety of scientific areas related to therapeutic antibody discovery and invaluable experience of working in a strong team environment within a state-of-the-art and world-leading R&D Facility.
This vacancy is ideally suited to a junior lab scientist with some practical experience or a graduate keen to explore and develop a lab-based scientific career in an exciting and fast-paced environment. GSK offers many opportunities for you to grow your skills across a broad range of disciplines.
You will be an enthusiastic team player, communicative, keen to learn, self-motivated and preferably have some experience in laboratory science. Ideal applicants will have a good basic understanding of science and a desire to develop their careers further in the Protein Analytics screening process for Antibody Discovery.
The successful applicant will be offered a role to build on their existing skills and required training in the necessary laboratory techniques will be provided. You will have a keen interest in cutting-edge research with a strong desire to deliver science from the lab bench.
Close date: July 31st
Please take a copy of the Job Description, as this will not be available post closure of the advert.
When applying for this role, please use the 'cover letter' of the online application or your CV to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process. If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
- Good analytical and data interpretation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Good attention to detail in experimental setup, reporting/writing up data and verbal presentation; capability to multitask and run multiple experiments in parallel, good organisational and prioritisation skills
- Good computing skills for data handling, reporting (written & presentation) and experimental lab book write-ups
- Good team working skills and motivation to learn new techniques and drug screening processes
- Able and willing to quickly learn new lab instrumentation and processes
- The ability to review and assimilate new information effectively
- Ability to rapidly develop confidence and expertise in new scientific areas
- Experience of working in teams where contributors have diverse skills and role
- Good theoretical understanding and practical lab experience of affinity measurements of protein-protein/antibody-antigen interactions e.g. SPR-based methods
- Good theoretical understanding and practical lab experience of protein physico-chemical characterisation using biophysical techniques e.g. HPLC-SEC, melting temperature measurement by DSF
- Experiment optimisation and troubleshooting skills
- Experience of team work to achieve group objectives e.g. in multi-disciplinary scientific environment
GlaxoSmithKline is a science-led global healthcare company that researches and develops a broad range of innovative medicines and brands. We discover, make and market life-enhancing products that are used by millions of people around the world, helping them to do more, feel better and live longer. We have 3 primary areas of business in pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare. We have offices in more than 115 countries, major research centres in the UK, USA, Spain, Belgium and China and an extensive manufacturing network with 87 sites globally. Our three strategic priorities are to grow a diversified global business, deliver products of value, and to simplify our operating model.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorisation before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorisation is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorisation being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.