Head of Design Research, Senior Manager, Consulting, Open to flexible working
Deloitte Digital is looking to hire their next design research leader.
We’re looking for a seasoned design research professional to take our design research practice on to the next level. You’ll have 8-10 years’ experience in the field. You’ll take responsibility for a team of passionate, skilled and experienced researchers working within our Experience Design team.
We are especially interested in hearing from researchers with a background in ethnography, UX research and/or digital research methods, spanning both qualitative methods and solid experience of analysing quantitative data to form insights into human behaviour. Fundamentally though, we want someone who will thrive working with the largest and most complex organisations. Who embraces the unmatched opportunity for growth and development possible within the Deloitte Digital team.
Design researchers at Deloitte Digital bring their curiosity, empathy and interpretive skills to bear on all aspects of our work. From framing an innovation challenge to designing new propositions and testing prototypes with users, our research is pragmatic and applied, enabling us to consult, advise, design and make decisions with clarity and impact. You will work alongside leaders for the other crafts within our design practice – Strategy, Service Design, UX Design, Visual Design and Front-end Development – to help shape the ongoing development of the design practice. This is a role that will offer you the opportunity to connect our teams, projects and clients with the customers and citizens we seek to serve.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Designing research programmes that get to the heart of client challenge and help our solution design and delivery teams achieve successful outcomes
- Planning & costing stand-alone and embedded research activities
- Conducting research programmes and overseeing the delivery of research programmes by team members
- Synthesising and communicating research insights and findings in compelling and immersive ways
- Shaping & directing research teams on projects of every size and complexity
- Embedding research and testing into large, multi-program/feature delivery projects and establishing ways of working between the work-streams to ensure that insight is shared and used across the project
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research and proven ability to use these two sources of insight in parallel to inform and develop findings
- Designing and delivering the design research elements of continuous improvements programmes, working with live platforms to help inform optimisation and enhancement strategies, usually alongside data insights specialists
- Collaborating with designers, strategists and technologists to turn research insights into meaningful solutions that have a real impact on our clients, their customers and society
- Client-facing advocacy for the purpose and value of user research
- Evolving our methods, tools and techniques for user research
- We’d be particularly interested in speaking to you if you have experience of running international research
- You’re a design research thinker and shaper – you have a clear set of ideas and opinions about the craft, as it continues to evolve. You’ll bring that to bear on the direction, capabilities and profile of the design research team, within Deloitte Digital and as part of the wider community of researchers across all Deloitte businesses.
- You’ll work with practice leads to grow the design research team – identifying recruitment needs, running the selection process and integrating new hires into the team
- Managing the day-to-day project & practice development activities of the team
- Proven ability to balance research, business goals and practical constraints to deliver insight
- Serving the design research team in its development as a tight, collegiate unit of fellow practitioners, fostering the professional and community impact of the people within the team
- Ensuring the Deloitte Digital design research practice has consistent, effective and up-to-date methods, tools & standards
- Contributing to the development of the wider community of research practitioners throughout Deloitte
- A commitment to ethical research methods, which you evangelise for and reflect in the practices of the design research team
- Understanding of GDPR and other compliance that impacts research
The success measures
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate these characteristics:
- A passion for learning about the world, human behaviour, and the motivations that lie beneath the surface
- The practised ability to tie observations from research to recommendations and actions
- Comfort with ambiguity and experimentation
- The ability to work in dynamic conditions, and transition quickly between collaborative and individual work
- Compelling written and spoken communication
- Strong planning, organisation and documentation skills
- An interest in multiple disciplines and approaches, and the ability to quickly dive into a new domain or process
- A collaborative nature, drawing motivation from effective teamwork
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2019 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 169191