Commercial Finance Manager, open to flexible working, 12 month FTC
The opportunity - Please note this is a 12 Month FTC
The Commercial Finance Manager will be aligned to a Service Line (SL), teaming with the finance teams in order to meet the needs of the SL. They will have a deep understanding of the SL’s financial performance with a strong focus on margin, leveraging their insights to help shape initiatives and strategies that will lead to improved margin performance.
The Commercial Finance Manager will be an expert in advising teams which optimizes margin at a pursuit, engagement or portfolio level where there is the complexity and materiality, drawing on strong commercial, financial and consulting skills.
They will also have proven coaching skills to help guide the Supervising Associates (SA) aligned to their SL.
Your key responsibilities
Service Line level Expertise
- Provides business insight related to the Service Line’s [engagement level] margin, revenue recognition and inventory performance
- Focuses on scenarios and portfolios that are complex, unique and material in nature
- Works closely with the Service Line Commercial Finance Lead to shape solutions and/or drive adhoc projects that improve support and advice.
- Teams with the SL’s other finance teams to foster positive and collaborative relationships, knowledge sharing, agree priorities and shaping of strategies that will improve margin performance
- Works closely with the Service Line Commercial Finance Lead to shape training strategies to strengthen the team’s competencies to ensure exceptional client service to the business
- Works alongside the Service Line Commercial Finance Lead to coach the SL Commercial Finance Supervising Associates through experiential learning and identification of stretch opportunities to help them to achieve their full potential
Drives continuous improvement
- Shapes new solutions, implement best practices and processes to optimise the partner’s financial performance
- Invests in staying connected with the business in order to share knowledge, collaborate and drive business focus
- Develop and maintain a SL network across the global Commercial Finance community to share and develop solutions and best practices
- Stay up to date with the firm’s latest policies, processes and tools and proposes recommendations where there is a need
Skills and attributes for success
Strong financial, business and commercial acumen
- Proven financial and commercial acumen of advising on complex and/or material scenarios
- Strong knowledge of EY’s financial tools and processes
- Ability to synthesize detailed knowledge into focused insights and actionable recommendations
- Robust understanding of financial and commercial drivers and interdependencies
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities
- Analyse and consume significant levels of data to form and communicate a crisp view of margin performance, both historic and forward looking
- Provide financial modelling and advice to support pricing decisions which optimise margin in any given circumstances.
- Ability to assess drivers of complex financial performance at either an engagement or portfolio level which help to pinpoint root causes with outcomes that derive opportunities for improvement
- Drives interactions that quickly builds trust
- Able to tailor their knowledge to the specific needs of the situation they are required to advise on
- Ability to look at issues from a client server perspective, understanding the commercial pressures they face
- Strong awareness of leadership needs and focus to provide effective advice and recommendations
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Presents and communicates clearly, concisely and persuasively through both verbal and presentation skills
- Able to recognize and flex their personal style to influence and collaborate with stakeholders
- Developed and led the implementation of an initiative that has led to improved financial performance
- Focus on how best to enable stakeholders that results in business benefits
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of the firm’s and/or SL tools, processes and policies and able to impart this knowledge in an effective manner
- Proven leadership and coaching skills
- Flexible to meet changing needs
- Ability to maintain momentum and optimism when facing pressures and setbacks are encountered
- Desire to share knowledge and enhance the skills of less experienced team members
To qualify for the role you must have
- Preference for minimum three to four years’ experience in a commercial and/or financial role
- Strong financial acumen with a proven ability to influence commercial drivers of business performance
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and ability to challenge mind sets and status quo with senior stakeholders and maintain resilience at all times
Ideally, you’ll also have
- A recognised global accounting qualification
- Experience of shaping and delivering training to junior finance team members
What we look for
You will be an experienced Trusted Business Advisor with a passion for providing exceptional client service to your stakeholders with the ability to think on your feet to make innovative and informed decisions.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.