Head of Development, Business Applications, Open to returners & flexible working
Head of Development, Business Applications, Internal Services
ITS Business Applications builds and supports a variety of applications for Internal Services within Deloitte, traditionally following non-agile methodologies such as Waterfall.
With the need to provide flexibility, fast paced delivery, whilst working within the project constraints we are transitioning in to agile methodologies such as Scrum. You will be responsible for leading the DevOps initiative across ITS and transforming the way your team works and beyond, both from a process and technical perspective. Working within the Business Applications Leadership team you redesign how teams work, building capabilities, developing effective leadership, embedding behavioural change and helping the business to deliver high value.
We encourage consideration of flexible ways of working, both formal and informal arrangements that allow for the best outcomes for our people and our clients. If this opportunity is of interest to you with some flexibility, please do discuss with us.
Are you looking to return to the workplace after an extended career break?
For this role we can offer coaching and support designed for returners to refresh your knowledge and skills, and help your transition back into the workplace after a career break of 2 years or more. If this is relevant for you, just let your recruiter know when you make your application.
Your role will manage 4 development teams (30-40 FTE). 3 x .NET teams and 1 x 3rd party tools team (e.g. K2, ServiceNow). You will be responsible for the technical development aspects of project delivery and post-implementation throughout an applications lifecycle.
Working with the Solutions Architecture team, you will ensure development and delivery is innovative, robust and solutions are secure.
You will be responsible for prioritising and managing the team’s pipeline of work in a rapidly changing environment. You will ensure development is aligned to the IT strategy / roadmap and Development Standards, providing technical input to project and programme governance boards. You will also be required to ensure technical reviews, guidance and troubleshooting assistance is provided.
You will have the ability to talk to different stakeholders (from SMEs to IT leadership), being able demonstrating the value of our products or integration and rationale for decisions made.
Key responsibilities include:
- Transform the current teams into a more modern way of working
- Lead and manage the IT Development teams, fostering a constructive and collaborative working environment.
- Ensure the timely delivery of quality solutions and integrations that support the Business’ needs.
- Ensure contractual obligations are met and exceeded, delivering on-time and capturing business value
- Support the development and establishment of appropriate metrics and reporting to allow the agile teams to monitor, identify and communicate progress to plan and business objectives
- Collaborate daily with development teams, business analyst, operations and Solution Architects to work following agile principles
- Be a custodian of the agile process of a team’s Deployment Pipeline; ensure all teams are following best practices
- Ensure all demand is forecast weekly against available resources. Highlight where there is insufficient resources and hire quickly and efficiently to meet the demand pipeline.
- Provide advice, training and demonstrations of how to use Visual Studio Team Services in an agile environment
- Facilitate Scrum ceremonies such as Planning, Daily Scrum call, Retrospectives and Reviews
- Unblock any impediments or issues that arise and promote continuous improvement
- Delegate activity and delivery responsibilities into your team leaders to ensure maximum throughput can be achieved.
The role does not require any line management responsibility but will involve working effectively with diverse teams within an inclusive team culture where people are recognised for their contribution.
Your work, your choice
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Work pattern: This is a permanent contract opportunity.
Your professional experience
- Experience in a delivery role (e.g. Technical Development Project Manager, Technology Lead, Solution Architect etc.) and knowledge of the bespoke Software Development lifecycle from concept to delivery
- Have previously worked as a senior .NET developer with proven hands-on experience and application architecture and trouble-shooting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new agile techniques, learn quickly and pass on this knowledge onto other team members
- Working knowledge of DevOps/Application Lifecycle Management tools, particularly Visual Studio Team Services and JIRA
- Understanding of test frameworks for automated testing/compliance Proven planning and execution skills, including resource planning and forecasting for demand and detailed technical delivery plans.
- Technically proficient, with proven academic competence. For example, MSc in Computer Science or similar experience
- You will be a certified Scrum Master or PRINCE2
- Agile Practitioner, or you have a proven track record of experience working as a Scrum Master You have hands-on experience with skills such as: Agile, Scrum, Scaled Agile for Enterprise (SAFe), Kanban
- Solid and demonstrable experience in managing off-shore developers, vendors and commercial arrangements
- Blue-chip, large organisation experience is essential however no previous experience within a Professional Services firm is required.
Your service line: Internal Services
At Deloitte, we’re all about collaboration. And nowhere is this more apparent than among our 2,000-strong internal services team. With our combined specialist skills, we provide all the essential support and advice our client-facing colleagues need, right across the firm. This enables them to focus all of their efforts on delivering the best service possible to their clients. Covering seven distinct areas; Human Resources, Clients & Industries, Finance & Legal, Shared Services, National Quality & Risk Management, IT Services, and Workplace Services & Real Estate, together we live, breathe and deliver the Deloitte experience.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,500 partners and over 40,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
At Deloitte we foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We value innovative thinking, diverse insights and a genuinely distinctive level of customer service. We value difference, with respect at the heart of our inclusive culture, and we support agile working arrangements. Hear from some of our people already working at Deloitte in agile ways. We are proud to have earnt a Top 10 place on the 2018 list of Top 30 Employers for Working Families for the eighth consecutive year, and to have been listed in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women for each of the last four years.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose:we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent:we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance:we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters:we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction:we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Requisition code: 164628