Marketing Manager JW, Open to flexible working
Global Travel (GT) is the fifth largest of Diageo’s 21 markets in NSV and 3rd largest in profit. The business has recently reshaped its mission and strategy and will be a critical driver of Diageo’s global growth. Our mission is to disproportionately increase our share of consumer spend to grow ahead of the Travel Retail industry, becoming the clear industry leader. We will make use of data to grow the prominence and profitability of the alcohol category and become the “Partner of Choice” for all retailers.
In Marketing, our vision is that every global traveller has an engaging experience with our brands. 6.6 billion people travel through our channel each year, offering unparalleled 1+ reach. Whilst the primary focus of GT marketing roles is to drive purchase within the GT market via meaningful connection throughout the “end-to-end traveller journey”, the opportunity to enhance brand value on a global scale is significant.
We operate in a distinct channel organised with proximity to our customers and run a truly diverse organisation with operations in 22 countries and over 40 nationalities represented in teams across the world. The business operates through two geographies – Europe & Americas and Asia-Pacific & Middle East. Our unique channels include ‘duty free’ sales in travel retail through airport shops, border shops, on-board aeroplanes, cruises and international ferries.
This is a key role in the business, accountable for leading the Johnnie Walker agenda for total GT, with full marketing mix responsibility, reporting to the Global Travel Head of Scotch. The role is accountable for P&L and market share delivery for Johnnie Walker, driving significant NSV with a sizeable A&P budget to drive performance while building brand equity.
Johnnie Walker is the No. 1 spirits brand in Global Travel Retail, 2.6 times larger than its closest competitor, and growing +8% YOY. Loved by thousands of travellers around the world, our ambition is to drive iconic leadership within the industry to become the most desired, most enjoyed, and most talked about whisky brand in Global Travel Retail.
The role sits within the GT Scotch Marketing & Innovation team and has indirect responsibility over the day-to-day management and development of one Brand Manager (formal reporting line is into the Head of Scotch).
Global Travel is the second largest market for Johnnie Walker amongst Diageo’s 21 markets globally, hence the role provides a fantastic platform to influence and shape the Global Brand agenda working very closely with the Global Brand Team.
- Fully deliver JW F20 AOP, CAAP and EUs with positive gearing
- Influence commercial teams to ensure AOP reflects market and brand strategy.
- Deliver clear and actionable brand strategies through annual MBP process in conjunction with the JW GBT to ensure the delivery of fit for purpose plans and assets that delivery the performance ambition.
- Adapt global strategies and growth drivers to maximize impact in Global Travel. Create additional tools & assets where necessary. Full mix responsibility with major focus on:
- Retail Visibility and Experience – permanent and temporary
- Primary and secondary packaging
- Media & digital throughout the traveller journey
- Gift with Purchase
- Influence & Advocacy
- Lead A&P allocation recommendation by region/growth driver based on robust M&E
- Codify where Trademark vs variant-specific drivers are required and develop/adapt as required.
- In addition, this role will work closely with the Customer Marketing and Commercial teams, gaining experience of pricing, promo strategy and NRM.
- Retail Transformation
- Partner with the Head of Retail Development to implement new JW Permanent Visibility across all GT Airports in F20.
- Deliver engaging and temp visibility solutions for key campaigns/launches, including testing/proving of clear activation mechanic.
- Engaging through the Journey via Media & Digital - partner with the Head of Digital Marketing to create proven growth drivers in the digital space.
- Gifting – work closely with the Gifting Manager develop and execute tools that make our brands more giftable
- Innovation - Develop and Execute brilliant launch plans to deliver Gate 5 forecasts on all innovations and support on pipeline development.
- Shopper Understanding and Insight – ensure all growth drivers are rooted in consumer/shopper insight.
- Contribute to overall GT Productivity goals by ensuring all activities have clear M&E in place and delivering efficiency and effectiveness targets.
Key Capabilities – Functional:
Building Purposeful Winning Brands
- I am an experienced and effective practitioner of storytelling and create a compelling brand narrative to bring it to life and tell its story to others
- I recognise the importance of purpose and distinctiveness in building a winning brand and I use the tools that help define purpose, create a powerful positioning and identify the use my brand performance analysis to identify, define and prioritise the highest potential brand growth opportunities and develop an insightful, competitive strategy.
- I lead the development of the MBP and make recommendations on the investment budgets required to achieve objectives.
- I consistently develop plans that deliver or beat volume, NSV and CAAP growth targets.
- Delivering Integrated Execution
- Effective briefs: I write intelligent and focused briefs which articulate clearly what’s required and I create the conditions which promote the creation of breakthrough ideas which are helping our brands gain cultural traction and achieve fame.
- Pace and Agility: I have an instinctive feel for what works with the consumer and shopper and I guide others in understanding what is the right thing to do, ensuring we make the right marketing decisions at the right time.
- Flawless execution: I consistently apply best practice project management skills to execute marketing programmes with excellence. I find creative ways of activating the programme to ensure flawless execution and stand-out delivery.
- Using Insight to sell more
- Pushes relentlessly for deeply penetrative shopper and customer understanding & insights to drive competitive advantage.
- Coaches and instils on-going consumer/shopper/customer curiosity leading to transformational marketing success.
- Forging powerful partnerships
- Aligns teams and agencies around an inspiring vision and grounded focused brief.
- Collaborates brilliantly with multi-functional teams, ensuring cross-functional input and support for key initiatives – key interfaces being the rest of the GT Marketing team, commercial teams and the GBTs
- Builds authentic and robust relationships and a collaborative spirit across agencies and teams.
- Brand Performance Analysis
- I apply sophisticated analytical skills and use tools effectively to deliver a rigorous, robust and polished brand performance analysis.
- I identify the key issues and opportunities the brand must address in order to drive recruitment and build mental and physical availability.
- Commercial Acumen
- I make effective recommendations on how to work all the levers of value creation and margin enhancement to improve brand profitability.
- I have a thorough understanding of customer and category profitability and make recommendations on change that can improve customer profitability.
- Pricing Management
- I use my knowledge of the competitive situation, trading environment, the cost structure of my product line and data on brand price elasticity in order to develop and recommend pricing strategy and net price.
- P&L Management
- I carefully manage my brand P&L to both optimise current profitability and identify ways in which we can drive for greater profit.
- I leverage my commercial understanding, and apply analysis, benchmarks and tools to develop accurate forecasts of all elements of the P&L.
- M&E to drive Marketing Productivity
- I both use, and help others use, metrics, measurement and real time optimisation to evaluate the effectiveness of my A&P activity and spend and use the information to ensure I make right investment choices to facilitate brand scale and increase mental and physical availability
Key Capabilities – Leadership:
- Invest time and energy in creating strong relationships, inspiring and enabling great cross-functional teams: You’re a fantastic relationship builder at all levels, geographies and functions of the business which enables you to deliver quality work
- Be active in shaping the future: You’re a strong creative thinker who uses creative edge to focus on new and big opportunities to unlock growth
- Be bold and act with pace in execution: You’re a self-starter who doesn’t wait for work to present itself but actively seeks it out and consistently delivers it to a very high standard
- You’re a passionate & energetic leader who can always motivate others to achieve outstanding results
- You’re comfortable in dealing with and overcoming varying levels of ambiguity to plot a clear path of action
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the marketing flair, commercial acumen, and excellent inter-personal skills required to initiate develop & implement innovative brand strategies within a complex and challenging market environment.
- Can operate within a multi-cultural, multinational, multi outlet, multi-channel, and multi-currency environment.
- Ability to lead with the creativity and generate greater possibilities to transform Johnnie Walker performance across Global Travel.
- Proven track record of inspiring the external agencies to develop superb brand initiatives across our portfolio.
- Passionate about brilliant execution, rigour and application of high standards.
- Has deep understanding and curiosity around complex motivations of shoppers, consumers and customers