Senior Tax Advisor, Alternatives/Private Assets - Open to flexible working
- Contract Type
EY’s Financial Services (FS) Tax practice is the largest such practice in the UK with an exceptional reputation for sector expertise and close, trusted adviser, relationships across a broad range of FS clients including globally systemic financial institutions and niche new market entrants and disruptors. EY’s FS practice is run on an EMEIA basis providing market differentiated capability for seamless client service on the Europe-wide tax advisory projects which the market is demanding.
The ITTS team advises a wide range of clients across the Banking, Insurance and Wealth & Asset Management sectors, including having advised on many high-profile transactions and deals reported in the press over the past few years with top FS multinationals. Our partners are well known and respected in the market and the work is technically challenging, creative and requires you to work closely with our clients’ businesses.
To meet our ambitious growth plans in our FS ITTS team, we are currently looking to recruit Senior Advisors with experience in alternative funds with an advisory focus; including experience in international tax fund structuring and providing advice across various UK corporate tax issues.
The Alternatives Tax team consists of Tax specialists who work across multiple alternative asset classes including hedge funds, private equity funds and real estate with a particular growth strategy around credit. Our clients include owner managed businesses, US inbounds and well-established UK and European asset managers. There is an ambitious growth target across all alternative asset classes over the next few years, and as a result there are a number of opportunities for exceptional candidates.
You would be part of our UK FS International and Transaction Tax Services (ITTS) team, which comprises 75 professionals and combines UK and international tax services (encompassing all technical corporate tax advisory services) with transaction tax services (M&A/deals tax). This team structure provides a cross-fertilisation of tax advisory services and provides rich career prospects for those with an aptitude for providing tax advice to the FS market including alternative fund managers.
Your key responsibilities
- Delivering high-quality UK and international tax advice to our alternative fund manager client base, and provide support to our growth strategy in the funds market;
- Leading a specialised team of tax professionals, develop their skills, and contribute to the enhancement of the team spirit;
- Contributing to building and maintaining key client relationships by delivering exceptional client service - managing the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach taken.
- Identifying and driving opportunities - use your knowledge gained from other projects, our technical training and our knowledge sharing sessions to add input to projects and proposals
- Counselling and developing junior staff through delegation and on the job training
Skills and attributes for success
- Private assets / financial services tax experience within an accounting firm or law firm
- High-level of familiarity with the alternatives asset management/private assets industry in general, with hedge fund, private equity and credit funds being of particular interest;
- High level of experience across a range of fund tax matters, including fund formation, acquisitions and disposals of assets, reorganisations, and asset management structures
- Experience of dealing in UK corporate tax and/or partnership matters;
- Excellent UK and international tax technical skills
- Client-focused, with the ability to deliver pragmatic, solution-oriented advice in a commercial context
- Excellent communicator
- Strong team player who thrives in a collaborative culture
To qualify for the role, you must have
- Strong tax advisory technical skills
- Any of the following preferred: ACA / CTA / legal qualification or equivalent
- Previous people management experience
- Experience of coaching and developing more junior team members
- Experience of working with financial services clients
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Project management skills, plan and prioritize work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget
What we look for
You’ll proactively maintain your technical knowledge by keeping abreast of global developments in UK and international tax concepts and issues so that you can better advise our clients. The types of project you’ll contribute towards may include:
- Expansion into new markets
- Pre-merger reorganisations and post-merger integration
- Organisational structure rationalisation
- Business model redesign
- Optimisation of capital structure and financing
- Managing the risk arising from global law change such as BEPS
- Lobbying and negotiation with tax authorities in UK and globally
In return we’ll provide investment in the right sort of training and offer you the opportunities on projects and assignments that will develop and challenge you so that you’re in the best place to further develop as tax professional.
Whatever the projects and assignments you work on you can be confident that you’re contributing towards helping our clients to develop and execute their international tax strategy ensuring technical excellence and providing the highest levels of client service.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.