Senior Underwriter, Open to flexible working
- Contract Type
Agile Working Options
Other Agile Working Arrangements / Open to Discussion
At Lloyds Banking Group, we're driven by a clear purpose - to help Britain prosper. Across the Group, our colleagues are focused on making a difference to customers, businesses and communities.
With over five million customers, and having celebrated our 200th anniversary in 2015, Scottish Widows is one of the UK's most trusted Life, Pensions and Investments providers.
We want to ensure this success continues and grows, and in Insurance and Wealth we contribute to this success by providing critical services to our customers and supporting them with their Insurance needs, whilst ensuring the customer is at the heart of our business.
The Group is striving to be the best bank for customers and to help Britain prosper. We're all responsible for the long-term success of the company - through our individual roles, activities and achievements. Here in Insurance and Wealth we provide critical services to our customers, supporting them with their Insurance needs, along with a focus on ensuring the customer is at the heart of our business.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Underwriter within our Scottish Widows Protect Underwriting team. Scottish Widows Protect underwriting is a key risk process to support business growth and provide a comprehensive underwriting service for our customers. Making the right decisions for our protection customers is key to supporting our Protection strategy and business growth and providing a superior support service.
What would you be doing?
- Accurate and timely risk assessment of all Scottish Widows Protect applications and evidence up to agreed limits and in accordance with regulatory and reinsurer guidelines and agreed underwriting philosophy and practices.
- Ensure robust and accurate underwriting decisions are made and relevant underwriting evidence requested appropriate to the risk presented.
- Appropriate referral of evidence to Reinsurers, Chief Medical Officer and second opinion when necessary.
- Handle complex Intermediary and customer enquiries and verbal and written service complaints as necessary and in accordance with regulatory timescales and procedures.
- Support the LBG "Treating Customers Fairly" culture, delivering fair outcomes and ensuring the customer is at the heart of the underwriting decision.
- Operate within personal underwriting authority levels and internal Quality Assurance framework.
- Provide technical underwriting support both internally and externally to include support with coaching and mentoring of less experienced colleagues.
- Communicate effectively and build and maintain relationships with all internal and external partners to ensure the right outcomes for all our customers. Build and maintain key wider business relationships and understand how underwriting fits into the bigger picture.
- Identify and drive opportunities for continuous improvement initiatives.
So what about your Underwriting skills?
- Knowledge and experience of the Protection Market in a Life and Disability Underwriter role.
- Understanding of medical terminology and ability to interpret medical information.
- Excellent relationship skills to liaise with Reinsurers, Chief Medical Officer, Intermediaries and key partners.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability for succinct and accurate records of underwriting summaries and decisions.
- Ability to take ownership of individual work load and ensure timely completion.
Additionally, your strong written and oral communication skills will be paramount, to enable you to articulate the reasons behind your decisions to both customers and advisors. You'll need to show care and empathy when liaising with our customers, ensuring you are sensitive to their circumstances.
Whilst not essential, it would be great if you have also achieved the Diploma in Life and Disability Underwriting or Claims qualification.
We're currently piloting working from home across our business area and will be looking to role this out wider on a permanent basis to more colleagues later this year if as expected the pilot proves to be successful for both the business and the colleagues.
You'd get a benefits package that includes;
- A performance related bonus
- Generous pension contribution
- 28 days leave plus bank holidays
- A flexible cash pot (4% of base salary) to spend on benefits
- Private health cover
We're dedicated to giving you opportunities and support to develop you both expertly and personally to optimise your potential.
As a new colleague, you'll join us on our journey to build a 21st century bank that reflects modern Britain, and craft an inclusive culture where all colleagues feel encouraged and valued.
We're committed to building a workforce which reflects the diversity of the customers and communities we serve, and to building an inclusive environment where all our colleagues can be themselves and succeed on merit. We support the principles of agile working and are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We're an equal opportunity employer and deeply value diversity within our organisation.
Together we make it possible.